Apr 16, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:02 pm: The NBA’s league office has made it official — Blake Griffin is suspended for the Clippers Wednesday night game against the Trail Blazers.
The Clippers pretty much expected this as Griffin (as well as J.J. Redick) didn’t even fly up with the team. Doc Rivers likely will be looking to rest guys as much as he can against Portland, although if Oklahoma City stumbles against the Pistons the Clippers can get the No. 2 seed with a win (meaning home court against the Thunder in a possible second round meeting).
Blake Griffin became the second player this season to reach 16 technical fouls, a threshold that comes with a one-game suspension (and a $5,000 fine, which followed $45,000 for the first 15 technicals).
Here’s video of the incident (hat tip: Matt Moore of Eye on Basketball):
The NBA could still rescind the technical, but if it doesn’t, Griffin will miss tonight’s Clippers-Trail Blazers game. Considering Los Angeles still has a chance for the No. 2 seed, that could be pretty costly.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11