Apr 12, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Corey Brewer averages 12.2 points in 32.2 minutes per game for the Timberwolves this season, and had never scored 30 points in a single game at any time during his seven-year NBA career.
That made his accomplishment on Friday all the more special.
Brewer poured in 51 points on 19-of-30 shooting, to go along with six steals in Minnesota’s 112-110 victory over the Rockets. He became the fifth different player to score at least that many this season, joining Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Terrence Ross, and Kevin Durant (who accomplished it twice).
There are additional oddities to Brewer’s performance.
What do Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Rick Barry and Corey Brewer have in common?
They’re the only players in NBA history with at least 50 points and six steals in a game (steals became official in 1973-74). …
The lowest previous career high for a player to score 50 points in a game was 26 by Terrence Ross(earlier this season for the Toronto Raptors) andTony Delk (in 2000-01 for the Phoenix Suns). …
The only other players to score 50 before ever scoring 30 among players with at least two full seasons of NBA experience were Delk (fifth season in 2000-01) and Willie Burton (1994-95 season with the Philadelphia 76ers was his fifth season).
Brewer also became the first player in NBA history to score at least 50 after never cracking 30 points in a career lasting almost seven full seasons.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10