Steve Nash believes chance to move up on all-time assists list influenced D’Antoni’s decision to play him vs. Rockets
Apr 9, 2014, 12:31 AM EDT
In the final week or so of the Lakers lost season. there doesn’t seem to be any reason to risk further health complications with Steve Nash, who’s under contract with the team for one more year at almost $10 million next season.
But Mike D’Antoni appears to have found one.
Nash has appeared in just four of his team’s last 10 games, and had missed the 15 before that stretch. Playing in the twilight of his Hall of Fame career, however, means that there are milestones available to be surpassed — and D’Antoni wants to help Nash accomplish at least one of them as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
Steve Nash holds a theory on why he will play when the Lakers (25-51) host the Houston Rockets (51-25) at Staples Center. …
Nash remains five assists away from climbing up to third place on the NBA’s all-time list.
“Mike really wants me to get this assist thing out of the way,” Nash said. “Now I would really like to get it out of the way frankly. It’s out there in the air and everybody is talking about it in a way.” …
“Frankly, it’s one of those things I want to get it over with in a way. If I can. If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. It’s not the end of the world. If I can put it behind me, it would be nice not to have to talk about it anymore.”
Nash needs just five assists to pass Warriors head coach Mark Jackson for third on the all-time list, but seemed as though he’d prefer to sit these last few games out and focus on getting right for next season.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36