Apr 9, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Now Gasol is pretty much confirming that.
Gasol said this speaking with Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unlikely,” Gasol told ESPNLosAngeles.com following the Lakers’ 145-130 loss to the Houston Rockets on Tuesday when asked if he would play in any of the four remaining games this season. “But, I want to.”
It is almost certain Gasol is gone from the Lakers this summer, both sides are ready to move on from a relationship that started with a couple NBA titles but has run its course. For Gasol he wants to be in a place he can contribute to a contender, for the Lakers who are rebuilding the older Gasol is not worth what the market will offer him.
Gasol will have options — Chicago, Cleveland and Memphis are the most mentioned names but other teams are expected to be in the mix as well. In what is a down market for free agents he will be one of the most productive big men available, that despite his declines (particularly on defense) and some nagging injuries.
Gasol will return to Spain this summer and will be part of the Spanish national team as it tries to win the FIBA World Cup on its home court (it is the one team with a real shot to knock off the United States, having picked up the silver medal the last two Olympics in tough contests with America).
Look for Gasol to return from that experience physically and more importantly mentally energized. Look for him to put up numbers wherever he lands next season.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15