Apr 9, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Now Gasol is pretty much confirming that.
Gasol said this speaking with Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unlikely,” Gasol told ESPNLosAngeles.com following the Lakers’ 145-130 loss to the Houston Rockets on Tuesday when asked if he would play in any of the four remaining games this season. “But, I want to.”
It is almost certain Gasol is gone from the Lakers this summer, both sides are ready to move on from a relationship that started with a couple NBA titles but has run its course. For Gasol he wants to be in a place he can contribute to a contender, for the Lakers who are rebuilding the older Gasol is not worth what the market will offer him.
Gasol will have options — Chicago, Cleveland and Memphis are the most mentioned names but other teams are expected to be in the mix as well. In what is a down market for free agents he will be one of the most productive big men available, that despite his declines (particularly on defense) and some nagging injuries.
Gasol will return to Spain this summer and will be part of the Spanish national team as it tries to win the FIBA World Cup on its home court (it is the one team with a real shot to knock off the United States, having picked up the silver medal the last two Olympics in tough contests with America).
Look for Gasol to return from that experience physically and more importantly mentally energized. Look for him to put up numbers wherever he lands next season.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27