Apr 9, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Now Gasol is pretty much confirming that.
Gasol said this speaking with Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unlikely,” Gasol told ESPNLosAngeles.com following the Lakers’ 145-130 loss to the Houston Rockets on Tuesday when asked if he would play in any of the four remaining games this season. “But, I want to.”
It is almost certain Gasol is gone from the Lakers this summer, both sides are ready to move on from a relationship that started with a couple NBA titles but has run its course. For Gasol he wants to be in a place he can contribute to a contender, for the Lakers who are rebuilding the older Gasol is not worth what the market will offer him.
Gasol will have options — Chicago, Cleveland and Memphis are the most mentioned names but other teams are expected to be in the mix as well. In what is a down market for free agents he will be one of the most productive big men available, that despite his declines (particularly on defense) and some nagging injuries.
Gasol will return to Spain this summer and will be part of the Spanish national team as it tries to win the FIBA World Cup on its home court (it is the one team with a real shot to knock off the United States, having picked up the silver medal the last two Olympics in tough contests with America).
Look for Gasol to return from that experience physically and more importantly mentally energized. Look for him to put up numbers wherever he lands next season.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 1
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24