Apr 9, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
For most of the world, ads on the jerseys of professional atlhletes are just part of the business — my Premiership team Newcastle United has a small patch on the chest with the team crest and a big ad for Wonga.com across the chest. Whatever the sport that’s how most of the world works. It’s how auto racing works domestically.
Yet it causes people to freak out when you talk about putting a patch with a McDonald’s golden arches or an Apple Computers apple on an NBA jersey (or NFL or MLB or NHL).
Money wins these arguments and the day is coming, something NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told Dan Patrick when Silver stopped by on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday. Patrick asked him if ads on jerseys are “viable” and “inevitable”:
“Yes and yes. Maybe it’s because I spent so many years of my two decades here selling the NBA internationally and traveling internationally, but it is so commonplace for soccer clubs around the world and basketball clubs as well outside the United States. In this day and age of non-live programing where people are using their DVR and skipping through commercials it’s just that much more of an opportunity for our sponsors to get that much closer to our game, to be close to our athletes.”
Also, Patrick brought up Silver wanting to raise age limit to 20:
“I’m not sure why it has gotten so much attention in the past few months because it’s been something we’ve been talking about for a while. But I’ve been talking about it. Maybe the only difference in my approach from David’s is I’ve been talking more about the college game. And while we think raising the age limit from 19 to 20 would be helpful for the NBA I think it would do a lot for college basketball as well.”
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 19
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 67
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8