Apr 8, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
When Brazilian center Nene is on the court the Wizards allow just 99 points per 100 possessions. Over the course of the season that would be third best in the NBA, behind only the Pacers and Bulls, but ahead of the Spurs and everyone else. When Nene is sitting — and he has been out since Feb. 23 — the Wizards give up 105.2 points per 100 possessions, which would be 21st in the NBA.
Think Washington needs Nene back?
Nene returned to the Wizards practice Monday following a left knee ligament strain and could play Wednesday in a showdown with the Bobcats that has playoff implications. Friend of this blog J. Michael of CSNWashington.com has the details.
For the first time since he was injured Feb. 23, Nene went full in practice Monday as the Wizards prepare for their biggest game of the season vs. the Charlotte Bobcats. Nene, who had a left knee ligament strain in a game with the Cleveland Cavaliers, had icepacks on both knees as he continued to get up shots after the two-hour session was completed….
Wizards coach Randy Wittman, after Monday’s practice, on Nene’s status for Wednesday: “This is the first time he’s been on the court. You got to see where is body is not from just from injury soreness but his body soreness. He’s missed six, seven weeks. Having a guy like him back, it’s always good to see that.”
The Bobcats are one game back of the Wizards for the six seed in the East — as much as the Pacers have struggled of late teams would rather avoid them in the first round, which is what the seven seed most likely gets. The six seed likely lands the Bulls, no easy task at all, but they still lack the weapons of the Pacers.
With Nene playing regular minutes the Wizards could advance out of the first round, they won’t be the favorite but it is possible. Without him they might win a game. He is that key to what they do, fitting in their defensive system and giving them good play at both ends at key times.
Expect to see Nene Wednesday, then in a limited role until the playoffs start. At that point Wittman would be wise to play him as much as his knees can tolerate.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28