Apr 8, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Nowitzki is having himself an All-Star season that may very well end with him leading the Mavericks to the playoffs, but things have gone far worse for Nash since joining the Lakers last season.
Injuries have accumulated to the point where Nash is doing everything possible to simply finish out the final year of his contract in Los Angeles next season, and he’s been extremely forthcoming about his situation in a documentary series that’s appeared on the Grantland web site.
Just as Nash has been honest in the film, Nowitzki was honest in his assessment of it, and he clearly hates to see the way his friend’s stellar career is coming to a close.
From The Dallas Morning News:
Dallas Mavericks power forward Dirk Nowitzki appeared Monday on The Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw and Mosley on KESN-FM 103.3 to discuss the Mavericks, his college basketball interests, and his experiences in Dallas. Here are some highlights. …
“It’s actually a little depressing, and he’s brutally honest in it, which I think is great to see what athletes think, what they go through at the end.”
The only depressing part is seeing how badly Nash truly wants to get back to being able to play consistently, but isn’t able to due to his physical limitations.
It’s inspiring, actually, to see an athlete at the end of his career with so much money and so many accolades already earned who still has that level of passion for the game.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 19
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49