Apr 6, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The Clippers added Glen Davis on a minimum deal once his contract buyout had been completed with the Orlando Magic.
The terms of his buyout were not disclosed, but he was scheduled to make $6.4 million this season and $6.6 million the next, and there’s no reason to believe he didn’t net most of those dollars that Orlando was contractually obligated to pay, despite the parting of ways.
Davis has a player option to remain in Los Angeles next season on a veteran minimum deal, but given the fact that he could secure more money and playing time in another situation, it’s believed he will pursue his options as a free agent instead.
Last week in Houston, that old crusty duo of Doc Rivers andGlen Davis clashed again when a heated Davis was removed from the game. He yelled something at Rivers, who yelled something back and then instructed team security to escort Davis to the locker room, ending his evening. Davis played four minutes the next game and 10 each of the next two games. He is playing about 12 minutes per contest since joining the Clippers in January and averaging a career-low 3.4 points. Davis signed a two-year deal with a player option for next season at the league minimum. He is much better than the league minimum and will sign somewhere else as a free agent.
Nothing there comes as much of a surprise, and even Davis’ emotional outburst was predictable to a certain extent.
But for Davis to receive the kind of multi-year deal he’ll be seeking, he’ll need to show some maturity in Los Angeles the rest of the way, and find a way to give some meaningful contributions to the Clippers during the team’s postseason run.
Otherwise, the offers may not come in as expected, and Davis will be stuck in a limited role for a minimum salary for one additional season.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48