Apr 5, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
It’s not uncommon for teams to put together promotional campaigns hyping up their best players to media members for regular season awards.
It is a little odd, however, for one team to be asking that two of their players receive votes for the very same one.
For Howard, the team kept it simple by sticking to the Superman theme, complete with Clark Kent-style briefcase and glasses, along with the red cape featuring Howard’s logo.
Rockets putting on a full-court press for Dwight Howard’s MVP campaign – pic.twitter.com/RheiFp0omE
— Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) April 3, 2014
As for Harden’s candidacy, the beard was an equally-easy target, so a grooming kit seemed like a fitting choice.
Neither Howard nor Harden has any real shot at the award, of course, considering that Kevin Durant is expected by most to already have it locked up, with LeBron James unquestionably being the one who will garner the most second-place votes.
It’s due diligence by the Rockets more than anything else, making sure their players know they’re appreciated enough internally to warrant the promotional effort.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13