Apr 4, 2014, 2:10 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while trying out hat new Cheetos cologn…
Oklahoma City Thunder defense. It’s flashy when Kevin Durant has 28 points, Russell Westbrook 27 and both are throwing down monster dunks. That’s not why the Thunder won and snapped the Spurs 19 game winning streak, that’s not why they have swept the season series and won 10-of-12 from San Antonio — it’s the defense. The length and athleticism of the Thunder (even without Thabo Sefalosha) can pressure, cover ground and contest shots. The Thunder did that in particular in the second half, holding San Antonio to 39.5 percent shooting. The Spurs had an offensive rating of just 94.7. This is why, as well as the Spurs have played, I like the Thunder out of the West (or maybe the Clippers) — the hyper athleticism of OKC just beats the Spurs.
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks. This was the kind of win the Mavericks need — on the road against a quality opponent. Nowitzki was his classic self with 26 points on 10-of-18 shooting and 4-of-7 from three. He also had 11 boards. With the win the Mavs move half a game up on the Grizzlies and Suns in the battle for the last couple playoff spots in the East. The Mavs opened a tough four game road trip with a win, that’s huge in keeping a hold of one of those playoff spots.
Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers. He had a triple-double — 25 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists. He scored 19 points in the first half. He gets the lower grade because it took 23 shots to get the 25 points, he shot just 8-of-16 inside 8 feet and 1-of-7 beyond that. His legs looked tired, which is to be expected on the second night of a back-to-back after a road trip. He tweaked his right ankle with a misstep late, he was limping off the court at the end. Hopefully it’s nothing serious, but don’t be shocked that even if it’s not Griffin gets a couple of games off to rest.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1