Mar 31, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Aaron Gordon, in some years, would be a top-three draft pick.
Not 2014, though.
In this loaded draft, Gordon hasn’t even broken into the consensus top six occupied by Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Dante Exum and Marcus Smart. Instead, Gordon is hanging in the next tier with with Noah Vonleh, trying to hold off charges from players like Gary Harris and Tyler Ennis.
But that hasn’t scared scared off the Arizona freshman forward. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Gordon is athletic enough to overcome being a bit small – 6-foot-9 and 225 pounds – for an NBA power forward. He can jump out of the gym, and his high effort level makes him an excellent defender.
He must polish his offensive game, though. Making 16-of-45 3-pointers (36 percent) gives some hope of unreached potential, but his 76-of-180 free-throw shooting (42 percent) gives a much larger indication of how rough around the edges he is.
Overall, Gordon averaged 12.4 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.0 blocks and 0.9 steals.
That low steal rate could be concerning – Kevin Pelton of ESPN advocates the importance of steals for indicating athleticism – but Gordon trended in the right direction during the season. In his first nine games, Gordon got steals in only one of them (three against San Diego State). In his final nine games, he had 15 steals.
Gordon is headed toward being a top-10 pick. I don’t see any reason to expect “a stunning change of mind.”
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17