Mar 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Dante Exum is expected to be taken with one of the top five picks in this summer’s draft, but after signing with Kobe Bryant‘s agent and spending his time working out in Los Angeles, reports have surfaced that Exum may try to do what he can to end up with the Lakers.
L.A. is doing its part by continuing to be terrible, thereby increasing the team’s number of ping pong balls in the draft lottery. But beyond landing a higher pick than five, or trading into one of the top two, there’s no way to guarantee that Exum would be available by the time that Lakers pick comes around.
Just how much Exum might do to dissuade others from selecting him remains to be seen, but even if he lets it be known that L.A. is his preferred destination, that wouldn’t by itself prevent other teams from selecting him.
From Chris Mannix of SI.com:
Exum has been working out in Los Angeles in preparation for the draft. There have been reports that Exum, who is represented by Kobe Bryant’s agent, Rob Pelinka, may be angling for the Lakers to draft him. But two executives from lottery teams said that wouldn’t stop them from drafting Exum if he’s available. Scouts rave about the Australian’s natural talent. Exum can play both guard spots, but his long-term future is likely at shooting guard.
All Exum could really do would be to close up shop so to speak, and refuse private workouts or interviews with teams who are interested in drafting him in hopes that might be enough for them to begin to took somewhere else.
The whole Lakers connection may ultimately be overblown, and Exum may be happy anywhere he ends up. But even if it’s real, it won’t matter one bit if another club sees him as the key piece to its future.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30