Mar 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Houston’s starting point guard Patrick Beverley limped off the court early in the second quarter of the Rockets’ win over the Sixers and did not return after tweaking his knee. The team said he would have an MRI on Friday.
The results of that don’t look good, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Beverley, of course, was the player who collided last playoffs with Russell Westbrook tearing his meniscus and putting him out for the rest of the playoffs.
If Beverley is out for the playoffs this would be a blow to a Rockets team that has played well of late (won five in a row) and sees itself as on the cusp of contending.
Beverley starts over Jeremy Lin (who will get a lot more playing time now) because Beverley can space the floor from three (35.7 percent this season) and is a better defender. The Rockets outscore teams by 9 points per 100 possessions when Beverly is on the court this season. Put Beverley in with the other starting five in Houston (James Harden, Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones, Dwight Howard) and that group is 2.1 points per 100 possessions better on defense then when Lin is with that group (however Lin improves the offense by 1.6 per 100, so the net gain isn’t that much). Starting Lin also limits how much time he can have with the second unit, where he is a spark.
We will keep you up to date, but it looks like whatever the long term outcome Beverley will be out for a while.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 2
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 3
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4