Mar 21, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
Brooklyn is doing just fine without Kevin Garnett — 8-2 in their last 10 games outscoring opponents by 8 points per 100 possessions, with the 5th best defense in the NBA and 10th best offense in that stretch.
But that is the regular season, the Nets are going to need KG during the playoffs — if the postseason started today the Nets would get the Bulls again in the first round.
Garnett has missed the last 10 games due to back spasms and he told the Bergen Record he has no idea when his back will let him return to the court.
This afternoon, the 37-year-old spoke for the first time since his ordeal began on Feb. 27, when he tweaked his back in a win at Denver. Garnett said that his condition went “downhill” sine then, but over the last five days he’s been “improving.” He hopes to return “soon.”
“The most frustrating part about this is that you just can’t push through this,” Garnett said, speaking to reporters for the first time in more than three weeks. “The back … deals with the legs, the lower part of your body, the core, your hand movements, your breathing, a lot of it comes into play.
“So it’s not like an ankle where I can muscle through it, or a knee or an arm, neck, something. This is damn near your [entire] body, and I have a whole new respect for the body.”
Because of how well the Nets have played in his absence there is no pressure on Garnett to get back fast. The Nets goal is to catch the Raptors for the Atlantic Division crown (2.5 games back) or get past the Bulls (2 games back), either of which would get Brooklyn home court in the first round of the playoffs.
But they need a healthy KG in the playoffs more than anything else. So the Nets are being patient. And when he returns Garnett should be rested and ready to try and make a playoff run.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48