Feb 18, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
I’ll let you write your own punch line.
The first-year Nets coach, who has both improved as the season progressed and stumbled into a small-ball lineup that works for his team, hasn’t stopped playing.
Not completely, at least.
Don’t let the tight suit fool you: Jason Kidd can still ball and still has those juices flowing.
During another disappointing and injury-riddled season for Deron Williams, Kidd stepped on the court and went head-to-head with the point guard in a spirited exchange at a recent practice, a source told the Daily News.
That’s one way to get through to the underachieving star: challenge him with Hall of Fame skills.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
I’d love to know how that matchup went, but if the Nets have done one thing right this season, it’s keeping the result a secret. If Kidd outplayed Williams, that makes Williams look terrible and furthers the notion Kidd hasn’t transitioned from player to coach.
Not speaking to Williams specifically, I don’t suspect most NBA stars will get motivated by playing their coach in practice. But, hey, maybe this gets Williams going. If it does, Kidd’s stock should soar. For all his other foibles, Kidd is the only active NBA coach with even a chance of competing with his players on the court.
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 0
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 19
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 43