Feb 18, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
I’ll let you write your own punch line.
The first-year Nets coach, who has both improved as the season progressed and stumbled into a small-ball lineup that works for his team, hasn’t stopped playing.
Not completely, at least.
Don’t let the tight suit fool you: Jason Kidd can still ball and still has those juices flowing.
During another disappointing and injury-riddled season for Deron Williams, Kidd stepped on the court and went head-to-head with the point guard in a spirited exchange at a recent practice, a source told the Daily News.
That’s one way to get through to the underachieving star: challenge him with Hall of Fame skills.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
I’d love to know how that matchup went, but if the Nets have done one thing right this season, it’s keeping the result a secret. If Kidd outplayed Williams, that makes Williams look terrible and furthers the notion Kidd hasn’t transitioned from player to coach.
Not speaking to Williams specifically, I don’t suspect most NBA stars will get motivated by playing their coach in practice. But, hey, maybe this gets Williams going. If it does, Kidd’s stock should soar. For all his other foibles, Kidd is the only active NBA coach with even a chance of competing with his players on the court.
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 12
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14