Dec 24, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Apparently NBA coaches took the Festivus “Airing of Grievances” part very seriously.
Kidd was frustrated after his team played a close first half then just got blown out in the third quarter by the vastly superior Pacers. After the game Kidd said his team had grown complacent in losing, as reported by ESPNNewYork.com.
“Well I think it is getting very close to just accepting losing,” Kidd said after his team lost its third straight to drop to 9-18 overall. “We are kind of getting comfortable with losing. And we got to make a stand with that because when things get tough, do we just give in and most of the time right now we do.”
For a competitor like Kidd, that is pretty much the ultimate basketball insult. Deron Williams took it as such.
Told of Kidd’s comment, point guard Deron Williams said, “I’m not. I’m not comfortable losing. It’s not fun. Not only when we’re losing during the game, but when I go home sitting there and thinking about it, it’s not fun.”
The Nets are 9-18 on the season despite having a payroll that with luxury tax is going to run owner Mikhail Prokhorov close to $190 million. That’s an NBA record by a mile. The Nets offense has been isolation heavy and not good, but it is their defense that really does them in — they have the second worst in the league. Plus they are without Brook Lopez — arguably the best offensive center in the game and a key to their defense — for the season due to a broken foot. Kevin Garnett has looked old and Paul Peirce can’t seem to find a comfort zone.
All of which is a lot for a first-year coach to figure out how to turn around midstream.
Getting his guys to put out a consistent effort is a start. But that falls less to the coach and more to the leaders in the locker room, the players need to start holding each other accountable.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 0
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 7
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 5
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4