Dec 24, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Apparently NBA coaches took the Festivus “Airing of Grievances” part very seriously.
Kidd was frustrated after his team played a close first half then just got blown out in the third quarter by the vastly superior Pacers. After the game Kidd said his team had grown complacent in losing, as reported by ESPNNewYork.com.
“Well I think it is getting very close to just accepting losing,” Kidd said after his team lost its third straight to drop to 9-18 overall. “We are kind of getting comfortable with losing. And we got to make a stand with that because when things get tough, do we just give in and most of the time right now we do.”
For a competitor like Kidd, that is pretty much the ultimate basketball insult. Deron Williams took it as such.
Told of Kidd’s comment, point guard Deron Williams said, “I’m not. I’m not comfortable losing. It’s not fun. Not only when we’re losing during the game, but when I go home sitting there and thinking about it, it’s not fun.”
The Nets are 9-18 on the season despite having a payroll that with luxury tax is going to run owner Mikhail Prokhorov close to $190 million. That’s an NBA record by a mile. The Nets offense has been isolation heavy and not good, but it is their defense that really does them in — they have the second worst in the league. Plus they are without Brook Lopez — arguably the best offensive center in the game and a key to their defense — for the season due to a broken foot. Kevin Garnett has looked old and Paul Peirce can’t seem to find a comfort zone.
All of which is a lot for a first-year coach to figure out how to turn around midstream.
Getting his guys to put out a consistent effort is a start. But that falls less to the coach and more to the leaders in the locker room, the players need to start holding each other accountable.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20