Dec 12, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
The Nets and Knicks have been the NBA’s two most underwhelming teams this season, but some statistical models predicted New York would slip. Few, if any, expected Brooklyn to struggle like this.
From afar, I recognize Brooklyn’s troubles, but like most, I’m mostly numb to them. That’s certainly not the case for Kevin Garnett certainly, who waived his no-trade clause to join the Nets..
Here’s a glimpse into his mindset, revealed by a heck of a Freudian slip.
Now, I feel a bit of Garnett’s pain. He said year! That must have felt like one long month, especially to a player as accomplished as Garnett.
The Nets were 5-12 at November’s end, and though that includes a season-opening loss in October, October is often folded into November in NBA monthly splits. In 2007-08, when they won the championship, Garnett’s Celtics lost just 16 games all season. Brooklyn could match that total by tomorrow.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $10,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
Even though they’ve won two straight, these are dangerous days for the Nets.
As Garnett’s quote reveals, tension is high. Minor issues that get swept under the rug on winning teams are more likely to blow up, and that just makes problems worse.
Jason Kidd has his work cut out to keep everyone pulling in the right direction. Well, everyone except Lawrence Frank. He’s off somewhere writing daily reports.
See what I mean about issues blowing up under the pressure of a losing season?
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 0
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2