Dec 12, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
The Nets and Knicks have been the NBA’s two most underwhelming teams this season, but some statistical models predicted New York would slip. Few, if any, expected Brooklyn to struggle like this.
From afar, I recognize Brooklyn’s troubles, but like most, I’m mostly numb to them. That’s certainly not the case for Kevin Garnett certainly, who waived his no-trade clause to join the Nets..
Here’s a glimpse into his mindset, revealed by a heck of a Freudian slip.
Now, I feel a bit of Garnett’s pain. He said year! That must have felt like one long month, especially to a player as accomplished as Garnett.
The Nets were 5-12 at November’s end, and though that includes a season-opening loss in October, October is often folded into November in NBA monthly splits. In 2007-08, when they won the championship, Garnett’s Celtics lost just 16 games all season. Brooklyn could match that total by tomorrow.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $10,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
Even though they’ve won two straight, these are dangerous days for the Nets.
As Garnett’s quote reveals, tension is high. Minor issues that get swept under the rug on winning teams are more likely to blow up, and that just makes problems worse.
Jason Kidd has his work cut out to keep everyone pulling in the right direction. Well, everyone except Lawrence Frank. He’s off somewhere writing daily reports.
See what I mean about issues blowing up under the pressure of a losing season?
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10