Dec 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Nets are going through an especially rough time right now, and even mentioning as much seems like a gross understatement of the facts.
Brooklyn has lost several of its key players due to injury, including Deron Williams, Paul Pierce, Andrei Kirilenko, and Jason Terry. Head coach Jason Kidd parted ways with assistant Lawrence Frank on Tuesday, and has been trying to make adjustments on the fly ever since — ones that have ultimately hurt the team more than they’ve helped, considering the consecutive home losses that have been suffered, each of which came by in the neighborhood of 30 points.
But despite the blowouts and the dismal performance on the court by the players healthy enough to be out there, Kidd is in no danger of losing his job just yet. The team wants to see what Kidd is able to do with the roster at or near full strength before making any such decision on his future.
Kidd isn’t in as much trouble as you’d think. The Nets don’t believe they’ll get an accurate picture of what he can do as a coach until they’ve got their full complement of players. That means the clock isn’t ticking on him until after Deron Williams comes back and starts playing regularly.
And that makes some sense.
Kidd hasn’t done anything from a coaching perspective to lead you to believe he knows what he’s doing in the role to this point, and has refused to use the injuries as an excuse — even though he and Kevin Garnett both mentioned that the team needs to get “whole” after the blowout loss to the Knicks earlier this week.
The reality is that management wants to see what it has in its roster before blaming Kidd for this mess, but one thing is clear: If Deron Williams returns and Brooklyn keeps losing by 20+ points regularly, then the team won’t have any choice but to replace Kidd before the season is finished.
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 0
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2