Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
If you have a really clever idea to get your team a timeout at the end of a game — say for example having your player run into you so you spill your drink on the court — save it for a late season or playoff game when it matters, don’t waste it in November.
That’s not what Jason Kidd took away from his little move of having Tyshawn Taylor run into him (you can see Kidd mouth the words “hit me”) then spilling his coke on the floor, giving him a defacto timeout to draw up one last play against the Lakers to try and tie the game (a Paul Pierce shot off a Kevin Garnett screen, a shot PP missed).
What Kidd did take away a $50,000 fine from the league.
After that he sounded semi-remorseful about the incident, speaking with reporters before the Nets game against the Rockets Friday night, as brought to us via ESPN.
“Paul [Pierce] got a great look, but the league fined me for something that I probably shouldn’t have done,” he said. “We’ll move on….
“It’s about trying to win and those guys in that locker room, and I tried to put those guys in a position to get a basket, a good look and we did,” he said.
What’s more likely to help the Nets win is getting Brook Lopez back on the court, which happened Friday night after he missed the previous seven games. Lopez is the Nets best player (their defense is much better with him out there, too) and they are going to need him and Deron Williams healthy and playing well to turn around their 4-11 start.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30