Oct 3, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
The Nets have maybe the most stacked starting lineup in the entire league, after adding Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to a roster that already has Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Brook Lopez firmly in place.
Making major offseason moves and spending close to $200 million on payroll and luxury tax penalties for a single season will get you a “championship or bust” vibe surrounding the franchise, and Nets GM Billy King said as much when asked if he felt his team had a two-year window to try win a title.
Billy King believes the Brooklyn Nets’ window to win a title is this season.
“Now, this is the window — this season,” the Nets’ general manager said Wednesday at Duke University, where the team is holding its training camp. “We’re going to see what we can do with this season, and then we’ll see what next season brings.”
The goal makes sense, considering the aging talent on the roster. But barring significant injuries to star players on the other contenders in both the East and the West, it probably isn’t happening.
Jason Kidd is in his first season as head coach, and despite his years as a floor general during a Hall of Fame career, he’s likely to be overmatched in a long playoff series. Then you look at the bench, and it’s tough to see where the production will be coming from. Is Jason Terry going to relocate his shooting stroke? How much does Andrei Kirilenko have left? What, exactly, is the expectation from guys like Andray Blatche and Reggie Evans?
The reserve unit is the biggest red flag when looking at the Nets and their title hopes. With a veteran starting five, they can’t afford to wear down guys like Pierce and Garnett over the long regular season. But the reality is, the salary being spent and the lack of future cap flexibility does put pressure on the team to win now — and King realizes it.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31