Oct 1, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Doc Rivers tried to limit Kevin Garnett’s minutes a little in Boston last season, having him sit out some games, but Garnett still averaged almost 30 minutes a night when he did play. (Rivers’ hands were tied, when KG came off the court the Boston defense turned to mush.)
New Nets coach Jason Kidd want’s to keep Garnett’s minutes under control as well, keep the 37-year-old fresh for the playoffs. He’s got a little depth up front to give him some options, such as not playing KG on half of a back-to-back.
So Kidd went to tell Garnett the plan and… that didn’t go to well. Those are not my words, they’re Garnett’s, as he told the USA Today.
“It didn’t go too well,” Garnett said. “I understand what he’s saying. He just wants to make sure I’m durable. … I just don’t want to be told anything. I think I’ve earned the right to have an opinion on something that I’m doing. From a chemistry standpoint, I think it’s important for me to be out there with everybody.”
To paraphrase Sgt. Hulka — lighten up, Kevin.
Yes you need to form a bond with your team, and you have the right as a veteran to have your voice heard (I have a feeling that is the big issue here, he wants to be consulted). That said, Kidd is right. If you came to win a ring — as you keep saying — you need to be fresh come the playoffs. It’s a long season, you’ll get your bonding.
But you need your rest, too. Brooklyn is potentially very good but there are a lot of questions and not a lot of margin for error in a conference with the Heat, Pacers and Bulls (plus those Knicks just over the bridge). The Nets need to be right come the playoffs to have a chance.
That means a rested KG. So listen to your coach.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30