Oct 1, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
Doc Rivers tried to limit Kevin Garnett’s minutes a little in Boston last season, having him sit out some games, but Garnett still averaged almost 30 minutes a night when he did play. (Rivers’ hands were tied, when KG came off the court the Boston defense turned to mush.)
New Nets coach Jason Kidd want’s to keep Garnett’s minutes under control as well, keep the 37-year-old fresh for the playoffs. He’s got a little depth up front to give him some options, such as not playing KG on half of a back-to-back.
So Kidd went to tell Garnett the plan and… that didn’t go to well. Those are not my words, they’re Garnett’s, as he told the USA Today.
“It didn’t go too well,” Garnett said. “I understand what he’s saying. He just wants to make sure I’m durable. … I just don’t want to be told anything. I think I’ve earned the right to have an opinion on something that I’m doing. From a chemistry standpoint, I think it’s important for me to be out there with everybody.”
To paraphrase Sgt. Hulka — lighten up, Kevin.
Yes you need to form a bond with your team, and you have the right as a veteran to have your voice heard (I have a feeling that is the big issue here, he wants to be consulted). That said, Kidd is right. If you came to win a ring — as you keep saying — you need to be fresh come the playoffs. It’s a long season, you’ll get your bonding.
But you need your rest, too. Brooklyn is potentially very good but there are a lot of questions and not a lot of margin for error in a conference with the Heat, Pacers and Bulls (plus those Knicks just over the bridge). The Nets need to be right come the playoffs to have a chance.
That means a rested KG. So listen to your coach.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18