Sep 11, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
The Knicks had a great regular season in 2013, finishing with the second-best record in the East behind only the defending champion Miami Heat.
But despite the competition stiffening this offseason, the Knicks star believes that his team will be even better next season.
“We were the top two seed last year,’’ Anthony said. “I think nobody expected that. This year we expect to do the same thing. I actually see this team be better than last year’s team. I won’t get into all the details [why]. But we feel that. We feel we have improved as a unit.”
The Knicks went 54-28, winning the Atlantic Division, but petered out in the second round, losing in six games to the Pacers. The Knicks drafted Tim Hardaway Jr. and added Metta World Peace, Andrea Bargnani and point guard Beno Udrih. Their losses were Jason Kidd, Steve Novak and Marcus Camby, all three of whom barely played in the playoffs. Still, some are predicting the Knicks to drop to fifth in the East.
Those who are expecting a drop off for the Knicks next year are doing so largely based on what’s going on with other teams, as opposed to focusing on whether New York improved, stayed the same, or got worse from a talent perspective.
Most expect the Heat to be near the top of the Conference once again, and the Pacers, coming off of a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals, added depth to their bench which (along with that experience) have many favoring them to make a regular season leap this season.
Then there are the Bulls, who expect to have Derrick Rose ready for the first day of training camp. His addition alone would appear to make Chicago formidable all season long.
The way the others in the East’s upper echelon bulked up, the Knicks are going to have their hands full. Anthony’s comments aren’t a surprise, but he may have a tougher time than he did a season ago in leading his team to as high as a two-seed for the second straight season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18