Aug 19, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets have a lot of bonding to do — and fast.
They have a veteran team that can win big if a lot of things go right for them — one of those keys is they need to bond as a unit. This isn’t the Rockets, which can take a year to have their stars figure out how to play together, the Nets have a window of one, two seasons tops. Paul Pierce’s deal is up after this season, Kevin Garnett, Andrei Kirilenko Jason Terry and a few other guys are done in two seasons (plus at that time Brook Lopez can opt out as well). Time is short.
So to help speed the process along, Deron Williams has been hosting players only workouts for the Nets in Los Angeles, reports Stephan Bondy at the New York Daily News.
Williams organized players-only workouts this week in California, with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in attendance. Only five of Brooklyn’s 15 players are unable to attend the workouts that started Sunday and run until Friday.
The entire starting lineup, including Brook Lopez (who only recently shed his walking boot following foot surgery), is expected in California….
Will it have much of an impact? Who knows, but it can’t hurt.
What this really shows is the Nets are still Deron Williams’ team. You can add KG and PP and AK47 and anyone else, but D-Will is the man. And Williams is another key for this team — he has to return to his Utah level of play (the guy who could get mentioned in the same sentence with Chris Paul) if the Nets are going to be a serious threat in the East.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27