Sep 16, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Does Erick Dampier want the rings or the money more?
Rings, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. His sources told him that the Miami Heat are the frontrunners for Damps’ services. There may be questions about how much Dampier can give at his age, but he is a more complete player than Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and everyone else the Heat have on the roster.
However, the Heat can only offer the veteran’s minimum of a $1.4 million.
Houston — a dark-horse contender if you think Yao Ming can stay healthy for a season — have offered a two-year deal north of $4 million.
But apparently LeBron, Wade, Bosh and the rings they likely can provide — along with the persuasive sales pitch of Pat Riley — are winning the day. For now. There’s a lot of suitors and a lot of options for Dampier.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85