Sep 16, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Does Erick Dampier want the rings or the money more?
Rings, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. His sources told him that the Miami Heat are the frontrunners for Damps’ services. There may be questions about how much Dampier can give at his age, but he is a more complete player than Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and everyone else the Heat have on the roster.
However, the Heat can only offer the veteran’s minimum of a $1.4 million.
Houston — a dark-horse contender if you think Yao Ming can stay healthy for a season — have offered a two-year deal north of $4 million.
But apparently LeBron, Wade, Bosh and the rings they likely can provide — along with the persuasive sales pitch of Pat Riley — are winning the day. For now. There’s a lot of suitors and a lot of options for Dampier.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18