Sep 16, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Does Erick Dampier want the rings or the money more?
Rings, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. His sources told him that the Miami Heat are the frontrunners for Damps’ services. There may be questions about how much Dampier can give at his age, but he is a more complete player than Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and everyone else the Heat have on the roster.
However, the Heat can only offer the veteran’s minimum of a $1.4 million.
Houston — a dark-horse contender if you think Yao Ming can stay healthy for a season — have offered a two-year deal north of $4 million.
But apparently LeBron, Wade, Bosh and the rings they likely can provide — along with the persuasive sales pitch of Pat Riley — are winning the day. For now. There’s a lot of suitors and a lot of options for Dampier.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9