Sep 16, 2010, 11:57 AM EST
Does Erick Dampier want the rings or the money more?
Rings, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. His sources told him that the Miami Heat are the frontrunners for Damps’ services. There may be questions about how much Dampier can give at his age, but he is a more complete player than Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and everyone else the Heat have on the roster.
However, the Heat can only offer the veteran’s minimum of a $1.4 million.
Houston — a dark-horse contender if you think Yao Ming can stay healthy for a season — have offered a two-year deal north of $4 million.
But apparently LeBron, Wade, Bosh and the rings they likely can provide — along with the persuasive sales pitch of Pat Riley — are winning the day. For now. There’s a lot of suitors and a lot of options for Dampier.
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 12
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14