Sep 16, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Does Erick Dampier want the rings or the money more?
Rings, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. His sources told him that the Miami Heat are the frontrunners for Damps’ services. There may be questions about how much Dampier can give at his age, but he is a more complete player than Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and everyone else the Heat have on the roster.
However, the Heat can only offer the veteran’s minimum of a $1.4 million.
Houston — a dark-horse contender if you think Yao Ming can stay healthy for a season — have offered a two-year deal north of $4 million.
But apparently LeBron, Wade, Bosh and the rings they likely can provide — along with the persuasive sales pitch of Pat Riley — are winning the day. For now. There’s a lot of suitors and a lot of options for Dampier.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 0
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 5
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 58
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 64
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8