Aug 3, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Did you really think there was any chance the Lakers would not be an opening night game? What with the rings and the banner and Kobe, you think the NBA wasn’t going to put their other big attraction out there?
Then add in the return of Yao Ming, with all of China tuning in, and you have a ratings winner. And something the NBA can hype until you’re sick of it.
It’s happening. Lakers vs. Rockets will be the second game of the opening night doubleheader on TNT Oct. 26, right after the Heat and Celtics go at it.
This could be a good one. The “ring game” is often a trap game, where the champions get caught up in the celebration while the other team stews and comes out pissed off. The Rockets with a healthy Yao are one of the teams that could really challenge the Lakers in the West, and while the first game of the season tells you nothing about May and June, it still should be an entertaining night.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85