Jul 17, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Houston needed some depth down low, even after re-signing Luis Scola and with Yao Ming returning. They needed a center with size to come off the bench and potentially hit from the perimeter to stretch the floor. Today they addressed that need.
Marc Stein of ESPN is reporting the Rockets have signed center Brad Miller to a 3-year, $15 million deal. Houston now sports a frontcourt that includes Yao Ming, Luis Scola, Brad Miller, Chuck Hayes, Jordan Hill, and Patrick Patterson. That’s kind of ridiculous. Daryl Morey runs the game, web-cult or no.
It’s overpaying for Miller, there’s no question about that. He’s got great size, but $5 mil a year is a lot for a center whose rebounding numbers have plummeted over the past two seasons. But the third year of the contract is only partially guaranteed, and all he’s been brought in to do is be a component in a versatile system, a system Morey has worked hard to build around multiple components capable of playing a range of roles.
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 0
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 19
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 43