Jul 2, 2010, 11:27 AM EST
The Rockets want an elite power forward. With one — combined with a healthy Yao Ming at center (the entire city of Houston just knocked on wood) and a back court of Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin — they are a contending team. They could challenge the Lakers and have the length to match them.
They want Chris Bosh or Amar’e Stoudemire.
And their sign-and-trade package might get them one of them — Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier and Luis Scola. That is the offer being floated, according to Yahoo.
There are a lot of moving parts to that. First, Daryl Morey and the Rockets need to convince one of those two guys to come to Houston – it’s a good offer, but those guys are being bombarded with options. Then they have to re-sign Scola, who is a free agent, and convince him to sign a deal as part of being shipped to somewhere. Phoenix may tempt him, Toronto… who knows? But he has to be on board.
Then they have to strike a deal with the other team on the trade. This is why sign-and-trades are often discussed but rarely pulled off — too many moving parts.
But with that good a trio available, Houston may have a better chance than most.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28