Jul 2, 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
The Rockets want an elite power forward. With one — combined with a healthy Yao Ming at center (the entire city of Houston just knocked on wood) and a back court of Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin — they are a contending team. They could challenge the Lakers and have the length to match them.
They want Chris Bosh or Amar’e Stoudemire.
And their sign-and-trade package might get them one of them — Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier and Luis Scola. That is the offer being floated, according to Yahoo.
There are a lot of moving parts to that. First, Daryl Morey and the Rockets need to convince one of those two guys to come to Houston – it’s a good offer, but those guys are being bombarded with options. Then they have to re-sign Scola, who is a free agent, and convince him to sign a deal as part of being shipped to somewhere. Phoenix may tempt him, Toronto… who knows? But he has to be on board.
Then they have to strike a deal with the other team on the trade. This is why sign-and-trades are often discussed but rarely pulled off — too many moving parts.
But with that good a trio available, Houston may have a better chance than most.
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 0
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 56
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36