Sep 5, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The Warriors went to the playoffs in each of the last two seasons, but despite the recent turnaround, the team parted ways with head coach Mark Jackson to make way for Steve Kerr to take the reins moving forward, in an effort to advance the franchise even further along its path to success.
Continuity is important in any organization, and the moves made by general manager Bob Myers were evidently satisfactory enough to this point to where the team valued his contributions, and felt he was the right man for the job in the foreseeable future.
Warriors general manager Bob Myers has agreed to a three-year extension with the team that will keep him under contract through the 2017-2018 season, an NBA source confirmed to the Mercury News on Thursday night.
Myers, whose deal was due to expire at the end of the coming season, has been the team’s GM since April 2012 and recently helped steer the way through the tumultuous dismissal of coach Mark Jackson after a 51-win season and second consecutive trip to the playoffs.
Myers, 39, also teamed with co-owner Joe Lacob in the resulting search that resulted in the hiring of Steve Kerr, who signed a five-year deal through the 2018-2019 season.
This deal, agreed to more than a few weeks ago, is added on to his existing deal, bringing Myers and the Warriors’ commitment to a total of four more seasons.
The biggest feather in Myers’ cap is the extension he got Stephen Curry to agree to, which was for four years and $44 million. At the time, this was anything but an amazing deal for the Warriors. Curry was coming off of an injury, and hadn’t yet become the player we view him as being today.
In hindsight, that contract is a steal for the Warriors. That, along with Myers’ ability to make things happen against all odds, is why the Warriors decided to lock him up for a few additional seasons.
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 6
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 9
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 43
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 22
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4