Sep 5, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
After all the no-shows and injuries on paper Team USA looked like a perimeter-based team heading into the World Cup. Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried had another idea — they tore it up for Team USA in group play. Through five games Davis has led the Americans with 15.8 points a game on 62 percent shooting. Faried was a ball of energy averaging 13.8 points a game on 79 percent shooting, plus pulled down 7.8 rebounds a night.
What they have done better than anything else is just relentlessly run the floor.
That included against the Ukraine when both made big plays. Above Davis not only made the steal but took it the length and finished it.
Below Faried ran the floor in transition, took the pass and finished with authority.
Spain thought they would own the front court against the USA in their expected eventual gold medal meeting. That may not be the case.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40