Sep 4, 2014, 6:19 PM EST
The U8 girls AYSO “everyone gets to participate” part of the FIBA World Cup is over. (Not to knock U8 girls soccer, I’ll be coaching one of my daughters in it for the third straight year starting Saturday, but the goals there are just a little different than the professional level.)
We are into the 16-team, win-or-go-home knockout round. It’s a straight 16-team tournament now that will culminate on Sept. 14 in a gold medal game. Featuring the undefeated teams of the USA and Spain. Well, technically we don’t know the participants yet but if you’ve watched the group play it’s clear there are two super teams and about six others who could potentially win the bronze.
The USA opens the knockout games Saturday at 10 am Eastern taking on Mexico in Barcelona.
Below are the bracket matchups for the next round of the FIBA World Cup (if/when the USA beats Mexico it takes on the Dominican Republic/Slovenia winner, and so on). If you’re first instinct is “man the USA lucked into the soft side of the bracket” your instinct would be correct.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8