Sep 4, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
The U8 girls AYSO “everyone gets to participate” part of the FIBA World Cup is over. (Not to knock U8 girls soccer, I’ll be coaching one of my daughters in it for the third straight year starting Saturday, but the goals there are just a little different than the professional level.)
We are into the 16-team, win-or-go-home knockout round. It’s a straight 16-team tournament now that will culminate on Sept. 14 in a gold medal game. Featuring the undefeated teams of the USA and Spain. Well, technically we don’t know the participants yet but if you’ve watched the group play it’s clear there are two super teams and about six others who could potentially win the bronze.
The USA opens the knockout games Saturday at 10 am Eastern taking on Mexico in Barcelona.
Below are the bracket matchups for the next round of the FIBA World Cup (if/when the USA beats Mexico it takes on the Dominican Republic/Slovenia winner, and so on). If you’re first instinct is “man the USA lucked into the soft side of the bracket” your instinct would be correct.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85