Sep 4, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
The U8 girls AYSO “everyone gets to participate” part of the FIBA World Cup is over. (Not to knock U8 girls soccer, I’ll be coaching one of my daughters in it for the third straight year starting Saturday, but the goals there are just a little different than the professional level.)
We are into the 16-team, win-or-go-home knockout round. It’s a straight 16-team tournament now that will culminate on Sept. 14 in a gold medal game. Featuring the undefeated teams of the USA and Spain. Well, technically we don’t know the participants yet but if you’ve watched the group play it’s clear there are two super teams and about six others who could potentially win the bronze.
The USA opens the knockout games Saturday at 10 am Eastern taking on Mexico in Barcelona.
Below are the bracket matchups for the next round of the FIBA World Cup (if/when the USA beats Mexico it takes on the Dominican Republic/Slovenia winner, and so on). If you’re first instinct is “man the USA lucked into the soft side of the bracket” your instinct would be correct.
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 9
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 35
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 7
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 6
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19