Sep 4, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
The U8 girls AYSO “everyone gets to participate” part of the FIBA World Cup is over. (Not to knock U8 girls soccer, I’ll be coaching one of my daughters in it for the third straight year starting Saturday, but the goals there are just a little different than the professional level.)
We are into the 16-team, win-or-go-home knockout round. It’s a straight 16-team tournament now that will culminate on Sept. 14 in a gold medal game. Featuring the undefeated teams of the USA and Spain. Well, technically we don’t know the participants yet but if you’ve watched the group play it’s clear there are two super teams and about six others who could potentially win the bronze.
The USA opens the knockout games Saturday at 10 am Eastern taking on Mexico in Barcelona.
Below are the bracket matchups for the next round of the FIBA World Cup (if/when the USA beats Mexico it takes on the Dominican Republic/Slovenia winner, and so on). If you’re first instinct is “man the USA lucked into the soft side of the bracket” your instinct would be correct.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9