Carmelo Anthony wants to be “the digital athlete”

Sep 4, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Carmelo Anthony stayed in New York for, among other reasons (I can think of 124 million of them) to be closer to his business interests.

What does that mean?

To him being a pioneer athlete in the tech world. Succeeding in that business world the way players like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan have in others.

Anthony spoke at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit in New York this week and among the things he discussed was his desire to be the first star athlete to really take advantage of the digital age. The New York Post has the quotes.

“I want to brand myself as the digital athlete,” Anthony said Thursday at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit in Manhattan. “Nobody really took that place. There’ve been athletes that came before me that were doing what I’m doing and there are going to be people after me that are doing what I’m doing. But I really want to be the pioneer for that digital athlete, and when it comes to tech I want to be the face of that space…”

To that end, Anthony and business partner Stuart Goldfarb, former VP of NBC, launched Melo7 Tech Partners this summer. The company invests in startup firms specializing in digital media, Internet consumer ventures and technology-based operations.

“At the end of the day, we all know what’s my day job: basketball,” Anthony said. “That’s what my brand is built on, but I’m trying to take my brand to the next level, make it bigger, make it stronger.”

The company has already invested in a few projects such as “OrangeChef” for the smart kitchen, or SeatGeek ticket buying search engine. There are other investments as well.

Good for Anthony. I have no idea how well these investments work out, but good for Anthony for broadening himself beyond the court. We in American have a fascination with singularly minded, tunnel-vision people who focus on one things. We generally applaud those people.

But frankly that makes a dull person. Anthony and his family are better off with him having other interests. So long as the Knicks and his game remain a top priority (behind family). I don’t think that will be the Knicks problem.

1. nflcrimerankingscom - Sep 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Carmelo will be proactive and begin participating AOL chatrooms and making a Geocities homepage in hopes to lead the way for athletes on the internet in the 20th century.

• ebecks34 - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Don’t forget about ICQ chat sessions with the fans too. And maybe play SimFarm after that

2. rickeye9 - Sep 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM

“we in American?”

3. tigers182 - Sep 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Maybe focus on being a player who takes his team to the playoffs first?

4. nicktomfrank - Sep 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I don’t have the slightest clue what Anthony is talking about. His brand is as big as it’s going to get without winning a ring.

5. adoombray - Sep 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM

He’s already considered old to the “digital generation”

• money2long - Sep 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Not really

6. nfl4days - Sep 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Better than a restaurant. At least he has goals.

7. mazblast - Sep 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

If I was getting paid $124 million to play a game, I think I might put the game first.

Just an idle thought.

• nfl4days - Sep 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Allen Iverson and Mike Tyson made over 400 mil and went broke. Never too early to think about your plans after the game.

• reesesteel23 - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Allen Iverson is still getting paid some of that money….

• nfl4days - Sep 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM

And? It’s not anywhere near what he should have.

8. campcouch - Sep 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Buy and invest, then turn around and sell them to Google and Facebook for a few billion each.

9. succulentnipples - Sep 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Big John Football is the digital athlete.

10. sportsfan18 - Sep 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM

MElo…

The digital athlete has to be an efficient player… so your application will not be considered.

11. pdixon920 - Sep 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I think that’s a fantastic idea, because he’ll never be a winning athlete. I admire that the guy recognizes that and is focusing on his business saavy. Not so good news for the long suffering Knicks fans, who even the Zen master won’t be able to save (probably because its the first team he has had to field without the best player in the NBA at the time).

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches