Carmelo Anthony on free agency: ‘I would never do that again’

Sep 4, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT

NBA All-Star Press Conferences and Media Availability 2014 Getty Images

Carmelo Anthony went on a free agent tour this summer, but ultimately decided to re-sign with the Knicks — which apparently had as much to do with business as it did with anything else.

Anthony admitted he was close to leaving, however, and the decision was one that undoubtedly weighed on him — so much so that it isn’t something he wants to go through in the future.

From ESPN New York:

“I plan on ending my career here so it wasn’t for me to go out there and try to strike a two-year deal and then have to go through this situation in two years,” he said. “I’m not doing that [free agency] ever again. I would never do that again. But I did it and I experienced it and it’s behind me now.”

Anthony signed a five-year deal, which doesn’t allow for early termination until the summer before the 2018-19 season. At that point, he will have played 15 NBA seasons, and things may have changed significantly between now and then — for better or for worse — as far as the Knicks are concerned.

But Anthony forced his way to the New York market, remember, and it has always seemed as though that is where he wanted to be. Nothing is guaranteed where the future is concerned, however, so Anthony may in fact face free agency once more before his career has concluded — despite his best intentions to finish his NBA playing days as a member of the Knicks.

1. nicktomfrank - Sep 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

You know that thing that the players fought so hard for, that thing I threatened to use to get out of Denver, that thing that allowed me to be paid way more than I’m worth? Yeah, I’m not interested in that.

This guy is a joke.

• bringin1234 - Sep 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

hes just trying to make it sound like NY is home…. when we all know it was the money that brought him back to the knicks….. not the chance at winning, or anything else

2. succulentnipples - Sep 5, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Big John Football would do it again.

3. therealhtj - Sep 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Winning a NCAA championship must’ve been too stressful.

4. alfiemonstaa - Sep 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM

lmfao

what an idiot first he wants to experience it bc he wants to know what its like, he wanted to be wined and dined & now HE WILL NEVER EVER DO IT AGAIN!!

life is so hard for these guys lol smfh

5. sportsfan18 - Sep 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Maybe he is a good guy after all…

I mean, when he went on his “It’s all about me tour even though we all know I’m resigning for the most money with the Knicks” tour this past summer, it was easy for us to think there was NO stress as he and all of us knew he was going to remain with the Knicks.

I’m actually glad to see that he now feels some stress about giving false hope to others, wasting their time and having spending money on their presentation for nothing etc…

Oh, he wasn’t talking about stress he caused to others you say?

Yeah, I knew that… but I still wanted to say what I did… so I did.

• bougin89 - Sep 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM

So what are your thoughts on Derrick Rose? Do you totally dislike him as a player too?

6. sportsfan18 - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

My thoughts on D Rose as a player?

He’s very good of course, just as Melo is. I’m a big Bulls fan, but I’m not a homer. As good as Rose was the year he won the MVP, he shouldn’t have won it. Now, he was in the top 5 that season for sure, but he wasn’t THE best player that season.

Uh, being the 2nd or 4th best is still really good.

How they are as players is different from how they are as human beings of course.

Melo is very good. But Melo is overrated. Now that it’s his fault, it’s the fans, writers etc… that do this. All Melo can do is go out and play and it’s up to “us” to talk about them and place them.

Sadly, way too many people rank those they like too high and they don’t do it realistically.

D Rose, when healthy, is one of the best in the game today. But, we’ve not seen him healthy in a long time.

I want and hope he comes back healthy. I want Kobe to come back healthy. I don’t want Melo to get hurt.

Yes, I want the Bulls to win, but not because an LBJ goes down with an ACL tear, but because they played on the court and won at full strength.

I like competition and injuries rob us all of seeing the best competition.

It isn’t that I dislike Melo so much, but his “fans” on here that think he’s so great and can’t see the faults in his game… so I have fun with them is all.

Melo’s gonna go in the HOF and he’s a great player… but he has holes in his game too ya’ll… just like D Rose does.

The biggest gripe I have with Melo is that he plays little D. I mean one may score a lot and still play D. See Kobe who scored and scored a lot and played hellacious defense too. MJ scored and played D.

Lebron scores and plays defense.

But Melo isn’t alone at only playing offense… see one James Harden.

So you see, I do NOT totally dislike Melo as a player… I’ve never been that way.

7. mackcarrington - Sep 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM

It’s true that you should be careful what you wish for.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches