Sep 3, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Earl Clark had his best professional season as a member of the Lakers in 2013, and while his averages of 7.3 points and 5.5 rebounds may not seem all that exciting, he regularly exceeded those numbers in his 36 appearances in the team’s starting lineup.
It was enough to get Clark a free agent deal with the Cavaliers the following summer, but he underperformed in his short time there, before Cleveland sent him to the Sixers in the midseason deal for Spencer Hawes. Philadelphia subsequently waived Clark, who finished the year on a 10-day contract with the Knicks.
It’s far from how Clark expected things to go, just one year removed from performing so well in Los Angeles. He’ll likely have options next season, and the Spurs appear to be the first to take a long look at what Clark may still have to offer.
Free-agent forward Earl Clark, who followed up a breakthrough year with the Lakers by bouncing between the Cavaliers and Knicks last year, will be working out this week for the defending champion Spurs, a source told Sporting News. Clark is in San Antonio today and will be there through Wednesday. …
The Spurs potentially have open roster spots, depending on how they handle team options, and they are reportedly considering pursuing guard Ray Allen, who might retire.
Clark is going to have to show not only that he can play, but also that he’s a right fit from a personality standpoint in order for the Spurs to bother with clearing a spot for him on the roster.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 4
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4