Sep 3, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
Luis Scola has been reduced to a role player at this stage of his NBA career, and while he appeared in all 82 regular season games for the Pacers last season, his averages of 7.6 points and 4.8 rebounds in 17.1 minutes off the bench are replaceable, especially for an Indiana team that’s going to struggle to make the playoffs after losing its two best offensive players in Lance Stephenson (free agency) and Paul George (injury).
In international play, however, Scola is much more impactful. He’s been a monster thus far for Argentina during the FIBA World Cup, averaging 23 points on 61 percent shooting, to go along with 8.3 rebounds in just under 34 minutes per contest.
Scola’s play has gotten him noticed, and Real Madrid is reportedly interested in acquiring his services. But he’s under contract with the Pacers for next season, and at the moment, that’s where Scola plans to play.
Reports out of Spain yesterday suggested Euroleague powerhouse Real Madrid was very interested in acquiring Argentinian forward Luis Scola. Earlier in the day, though, Scola told HoopsHype he had no plans to go anywhere.
“I have a contract with the Pacers and I will continue there,” Scola said. “We’ll see what happens next year.”
Scola’s deal for the upcoming season is for $4,868,499, but is only partially guaranteed for $940,946 according to Sham Sports,
The Pacers waiving or trading Scola seems more likely than him choosing to bolt the NBA to play overseas next season. But it appears as though he’ll have offers there once things dry up for him in the states.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28