Sep 3, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Kenneth Faried has been the biggest surprise and one of the breakout stars of Team USA, averaging 14.3 points a game having hit 21-of-26 shots through three, plus he has pitched in a team high 8.3 rebounds a game. Faried’s greatest skill has always been energy and that is what Team USA has needed — Faried’s work ethic and constant activity have rubbed off on the other starters on the team. He’s been the ultimate glue guy and racking up points while doing it.
Sounds like he kind of guy the Nuggets might want to keep.
Yet they have shopped him around the past year, afraid that the salary he will take with the extension to his rookie contract (a salary that seems to be going up with each Team USA win) was too high for his skill set, that the energy covers up defensive flaws. The Nuggets like him, but not at the price they fear they would need to pay.
The trade talks have bothered Faried, he told Marc Stein of ESPN, but the two sides are talking contract extension.
Faried’s game is tough for GMs to put a dollar figure on easily. He scores, but he’s not the focal point of your offense and doesn’t really create his own shot. He’s a beast on the glass but not a great defender. You want his energy on your team, but how much do you pay for that?
If Denver can’t reach an extension, Faried is the kind of player another team might try to poach with a big offer next summer Denver would be hesitant to match.
All just stuff to watch… after you watch the Manimal just tear up international basketball and raise is stock. And price.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8