Kobe Bryant: ‘I don’t jump as high as I used to … I’m not as fast as I used to be’

Sep 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

James Harden says he expects Kobe Bryant to play like the 20-year-old version of himself next season.

That might be the most ridiculous thing Harden has said this offseason (and there are other contenders).

Not even the most delusional Kobe fan believes Kobe, who’s 36 and played just six games last season, will ever return to that level of athleticism. That’s because Kobe himself acknowledges as much.

Kobe:

I can say, ‘I want to be able to jump as high as I used to. I want to be able to be as fast as I used to.’

No, I don’t jump as high as I used to. That’s OK. I’m not as fast as I used to be. That’s OK, too.

I’ll figure out another way to do it.

Kobe, to his credit, knows his body extremely well. He’s also human.

It would be nearly, if not completely, unprecedented for a player Kobe’s age and with his injury history to get more athletic.

And Kobe knows this.

That’s why he’s studying Paul Pierce. The day Kobe needs to adjust his game is not in the distant future. It’s here.

Is that a depressing thought? Hardly. Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing what the smart and crafty Kobe has in store – and so is he. As he says in the video:

I’m more motivated now than ever.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

7. Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing

Apr 20, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Memphis Grizzlies - Game One Getty Images

And he’s not the only Portland player worried about Aldridge leaving

Can Michael Carter-Williams slow Derrick Rose?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches