Kobe Bryant: ‘I don’t jump as high as I used to … I’m not as fast as I used to be’

Sep 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

James Harden says he expects Kobe Bryant to play like the 20-year-old version of himself next season.

That might be the most ridiculous thing Harden has said this offseason (and there are other contenders).

Not even the most delusional Kobe fan believes Kobe, who’s 36 and played just six games last season, will ever return to that level of athleticism. That’s because Kobe himself acknowledges as much.

Kobe:

I can say, ‘I want to be able to jump as high as I used to. I want to be able to be as fast as I used to.’

I’ll figure out another way to do it.

Kobe, to his credit, knows his body extremely well. He’s also human.

It would be nearly, if not completely, unprecedented for a player Kobe’s age and with his injury history to get more athletic.

And Kobe knows this.

That’s why he’s studying Paul Pierce. The day Kobe needs to adjust his game is not in the distant future. It’s here.

Is that a depressing thought? Hardly. Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing what the smart and crafty Kobe has in store – and so is he. As he says in the video:

I’m more motivated now than ever.

1. loungefly74 - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM

no doubt adjustments have to be made but knowing Kobe, he will give it his all. i hope his APG takes a dramatic increase and he takes shots closer to the rim using his height advantage over other 2-guards. He should also be working on getting a better 3-point shot. the compensation for his notorious bad-shot selection will be limited…what i mean is he needs to “create” in other ways. no more taking a fading-18-footer with 2 guys on him. that needs to be completely eliminated.

2. sportsfan18 - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:18 AM

The delusional Kobe and Laker fans will still think he can jump as high and run as fast…

They’ll think and say that Kobe’s just playing with the competition right now and setting them up so he’ll blow by them when the games start…

• 5xchamp24 - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM

If could give you 1000 thumbs down……………………..

• sportsfan18 - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

champ

you do know what the term delusional means right?

“maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts”

I mean there are even folks out there who say that Kobe is better than MJ.

Even though, per 36 min’s MJ > Kobe in the following:

higher true shooting %
        higher PER
        higher win shares per 48
        more titles
        more MVP’s

etc…

yet some delusional Kobe fans think, say and believe that Kobe is better than MJ…

• 5xchamp24 - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM

If I could give you 1000 thumbs down……………………..

• musician0785 - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

-Sportsfan18

-Kobe

• sportsfan18 - Sep 3, 2014 at 6:04 PM

musician.

do you know what the word delusional means? if yes, then you’ll agree that those who ARE delusional, will still think that.

what I said was factually true, accurate. I didn’t say all Lakers fans will think that, ONLY the delusional ones.

As you pointed out, I said “the delusional Kobe and Laker fans”. See, I only specifically described a certain segment of Kobe and Laker fans… the delusional ones… and being that they are delusional, they will still think that.

Why? because this is what being delusional means sir… “maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts”

might wanna check your reading skills sir…

• sportsfan18 - Sep 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM

musician

you wrote this sir…

““No, I don’t jump as high as I used to. That’s OK. I’m not as fast as I used to be. That’s OK, too. ”
        -Kobe

Clearly your reading skills must be called into question after that nonsense of a post.”

Sir, since the DEFINITION of delusional is ““maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts”… then OF COURSE those who ARE delusional will still think and hold to the false beliefs.

So even if they were talking to Kobe face-to-face and hearing him say he wasn’t as fast or couldn’t jump as high, they wouldn’t believe it.

You’re not telling me I’m wrong sir, you’re telling me you don’t understand the word delusional.

What I said was correct and accurate.

WHY did you post what Kobe said about not being as fast or jumping as high? People who ARE delusional STILL will NOT believe it musician and that is what I said.

Don’t you get that?

• 00maltliquor - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

The only ones who REALLY seem to be delusional are the Laker/Kobe haters that are delusional about the Lakers/Kobe fans supposed delusion.

• money2long - Sep 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM

The irony.

• sportsfan18 - Sep 3, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I just like tweaking folks.

Folks get SO uptight on here… I can easily envision the steam coming from their ears…

put it this way when talking about delusion… there are actually folks who think, feel, believe and say that Kobe is better than MJ.

talk about delusional.

• money2long - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Some nba players think that. Ur just a blogger.

3. 202folife - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Dude is officially washed! He’s Ewing in a Sonics jersey and Hakeem in a Raptors jersey washed!

• bougin89 - Sep 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Hey now. Ewing in a Sonics jersey was basically Roy Hibbert without the shot blocking…

Oh wait…

4. therealhtj - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM

It’s so much nicer when an aging great athlete hangs them up before it becomes a little pathetic. The high fly acts really can’t just adjust their games and become Adrian Dantley, and even if they do, it’s nowhere near good enough to carry a team like they once could.

Compound it with the salary and attitude that comes with it . . .

This is going to be a very sad year for Lakers fans.

• musician0785 - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Kobe has been a high flying act the last 2 years? It was my understanding that his foot work and post game for a guard were off the charts. Not exactly “high flying”

5. imakcds - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

ooh, look!
    A Kobe article!
    Let’s see if I can post my hate before I come in my hand!!!
    OHH! OOOOHHHHHHHH!!
    oops.
    anyone got any kleenex????

• billtetley53 - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM

When youre done with that kleenex, give it to musician, hes crying again.

6. rrhoe - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Father time a mofo!!!!!

7. campcouch - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM

It’s a trap! He’ll drop 40 in the first game and everyone will call him superhuman and his ego will reboot.

8. kamelrytteren - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM

”See, the thing about being delusional is that not even reality knocks one off of their course or train of thought…” Someone should poke anti with this one, I tihnk the guy very well may have a serious disease”

9. phaktor333 - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Watch his post game get even more efficient. He won’t be able to carry the play as much as he used to, but he will be wily in getting to the line and picking his spots to take advantage of the glut of young, unwilling defenders in the league now. He already has a sick mid-range game, so he will be able to score at will. But fast breaking and using athleticism to the degree he used to will be few and far between. Still will drop 20+ a game.

• sportsfan18 - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM

easy to drop 20 plus a game when one shoots 20 to 22 times a game…

I wanna see Kobe be efficient. Like average 28 points a game on 17.7 shots a game… like KD two seasons ago…

• loungefly74 - Sep 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM

you would think KD’s efficiency would have netted him a ring or 2 by now. its not like OKC has been a bad team. huh…

• therealhtj - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

That’s fine for an aging vet making 8-10mil/yr.

When you’re the highest paid player in the league, you should be able to at least carry your team to an 8 seed.

10. thisgrilledcheez - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM

In other news, water is still wet.

• kobeoverlebron - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

what a idiot

• billtetley53 - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM

It’s an idiot, not a idiot. Idiot.

11. lazickirussell - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM

i could tell by the way he fell down and broke his leg that he wont be any good anymore

12. peddealer - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Dang, no 00maltliquor opinion!

Why the heck would u want to be 007, if you could be 00colt45?!?!

13. wolfnet14 - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Has anyone notice our own celebrities takes the time to go overseas to educate these young kids.what happen to helping
    our own right here.look at all the stars they run over to other countries to be accepted when they made their
    living here in america.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Do you know how much Kobe and a lot of players do domestically with camps/foundations? Obviously not.

14. 00maltliquor - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

This article is a Kobe bashers wet dream…

15. billtetley53 - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Good thing I’m not a kobe basher.

Its like that old joke. I don’t mind God, it’s his followers I can’t stand.

No, I obviously am not calling kobe a God, or referring to him as one.
    He is a flawed human being, but you turse certainly do worship him, which is pretty creepy.

Hey Malt, kb2408 is hanging out on Celtics stories, figure he has had enough on the lakers ones, I feel a little bad I lrft him broken, beat, and scarred. Only a little though.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I legit laughed at that 2nd paragraph though. Lol

What are you talking about, kb hasn’t been around here for months, unless you think he’s that guy kobeoverlebron?

16. ddarqwon - Sep 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM

17. billtetley53 - Sep 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Nope Malt, one of the Rondo stories, kb2408 moniker.

18. freshstarz - Sep 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM

i see an image of kobe yelling at nash/lin for the ball

i see an image of kobe giving swaggy p another “is you serious” look consistently

bwuaha

19. gasan2013pananaw - Sep 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Attention on deck. Be prepared for more surprise this coming season because the Black Mamba will show everybody all about skill and not movement brings result. He will be a facilitator like what he did last season Post All Star . This will not be about scoring but winning games and my guess is specially with Byron Scott now at the helm we might see some touches of Showtime Specially now that his former team mates promised to bug him every night. There’s a reason why they call them the Los Angeles Lakers. Stay tuned for the next 2 years because this promises to be one of the most exciting laker moment . Remember savor every game cause there will never be another Black Mamba.

20. billtetley53 - Sep 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM

⬆⬆⬆ Put the pipe down son. You’re in for a long disappointing season if you don’t adjust your mindset.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches