Sep 3, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Khem Birch was one of the top undrafted players this season. Then, the UNLV forward excelled in the summer league for the Wizards.
Andre Dawkins, out of Duke, also went undrafted.
The Heat looked at their credentials and saw both as roster worthy – for now at least.
Birch has committed to join the Miami Heat, according to Birch’s agent, Mike George, who spoke with CSNwashington.com on Tuesday.
Birch received a guaranteed camp invitation and some guaranteed money from the Heat, according to George.
Shams Charania of RealGM:
“He had about 12 or 13 teams who had expressed interest,” agent John Spencer said Tuesday of Dawkins, “but we had already agreed a while back that he was going to be with them come training camp.”
Spencer said Dawkins has a non-guaranteed invitation, having turned down guaranteed money overseas.
Dawkins has one NBA skill – 3-point shooting. The 6-foot-5 guard made 41 percent of his shots beyond the arc during four seasons with Duke. Whether he has the athleticism to do anything else, even at the bare minimum level in order to take advantage of his outside shooting, is the big question.
• Khem Birch, 6’9” power forward, UNLV. He’s long (7’0” wing span), athletic and he uses that well on the defensive end of the court, which is why a team could use him. He can block shots and is a guy who gets hustle points and buckets by being scrappy. He’s not polished on the offensive end, his footwork is unimpressive and he doesn’t have much shooting range. But teams could use guys off the bench who just hustle and scrap.
Birch’s partial guarantee, offered for a reason, gives him a leg up for making the roster. But it’s hardly a given as Miami heads into camp with 19 players and the ability to add another. Teams can have 20 players during the offseason and 15 during the regular season.
Currently, the Heat have 11 players with guaranteed contracts plus eight with partial or no guarantees:
- Justin Hamilton ($408,241 guaranteed)
- James Ennis ($200,000 guaranteed)
- Tyler Johnson ($75,000 guaranteed)
- Khem Birch (“some guarantee”)
- Shawne Williams ($0 guaranteed)
- Shannon Brown ($0 guaranteed)
- Shawn Jones ($0 guaranteed)
- Andre Dawkins ($0 guaranteed)
Miami could still sign another player, but right now, Birch on the inside looking out for a roster spot and Dawkins is on the outside looking in.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10