Sep 3, 2014, 1:22 AM EDT
The FIBA World Cup rolls on in Spain, with the USA back in action. Because you have a job and can’t spend the day watching international basketball games — at least not all day, the boss keeps walking by so you have to hide the stream — here is a recap for you.
• New Zealand’s Haka dance before the game was awesome. It may have been the best part of their day, because once the game started they were completely overmatched against Team USA. The USA didn’t even play a great game, there were things to pick apart, and it didn’t matter as the USA took the lead early and won 98-71. Anthony Davis (21 points, 9 rebounds) and Kenneth Faried (15 points, 11 rebounds) were the best players for Team USA — if the USA keeps getting great play in the paint they will be very tough to beat.
• Australia took a big step towards making it to the knockout round with the upset win of the day, a 82-75 victory over Lithuania. It started with Aron Baynes (of the Spurs last season) completely out playing Toronto’s Jonas Valanciunas, combine that with Joe Ingles (who is drawing interest from a number of NBA teams) just hitting everything and the Aussies were up by 19 at the break. Valanciunas and Houston’s Donatas Motiejunas sat much of the second half and were not part of the Lithuanian comeback, which got the game within three points. But Australia held off Lithuania. Both of these teams (along with Group D leader Slovenia) seem destined for the knockout round.
• The real battle in Group D may be between Mexico and Angola for the final spot to advance, and Mexico put themselves in position to be that team with a huge 79-55 win over Angola. Gustavo Ayon led Mexico with 17 points and 12 rebounds. If Mexico can grab the fourth spot in Group D their reward would be Team USA in the first knockout round game.
• In Group C (the USA’s group) Ukraine’s 64-58 win over Turkey on Tuesday has them looking like a team that will advance to the knockout round. Give coach Mike Fratello credit, and throw some to Olexandr Mishula who had 19 points in the win Tuesday. Omer Asik had 16 points and 20 rebounds in the loss. Turkey plays Finland on Wednesday and need a win (one they should get) to make sure they advance to the knockout phase.
• The other Group C team that should advance is the Dominican Republic, which beat Finland 74-68 on Tuesday. Eloy Vargas led the way for the Dominican with 18 points and 13 rebounds.
• In other action on Tuesday Slovenia beat Korea 89-72.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 84
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20