EuroLeague champion Maccabi Tel Aviv one of three international teams coming to USA for NBA preseason games
Sep 3, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Last season coach David Blatt led Maccabi Tel Aviv to a surprise EuroLeague title — one he admitted they won because the EuroLeague final four are single-elimination, he didn’t think they would have done it over Real Madrid in an NBA best-of-seven format. Doesn’t matter, the rules are the rules and Maccabi Tel Aviv got the win.
Now Maccabi Tel Aviv and a couple other big international teams are coming to the United States to take on NBA teams in the preseason.
We talk a lot about NBA teams heading to China and Brazil and London for preseason games, but this season Maccabi Tel Aviv, Maccabi Haifa and Flamengo of Brazil are coming to the states.
The one to watch is Maccabi Tel Aviv taking on their former coach Blatt and his Cleveland Cavaliers on Oct. 5 at Quicken Loans Arena. Maccabi will then travel to face the Brooklyn Nets on Oct. 7 at Barclays Center.
Maccabi Haifa, which beat out Tel Aviv for the Israeli league title last year, will face the Washington Wizards on Oct. 15 at Verizon Center, the Portland Trail Blazers on Oct. 17 at Moda Center, the Sacramento Kings on Oct. 18 at Sleep Train Arena, then finally Oct. 22 against the Toronto Raptors at Air Canada Centre.
Flamengo, the biggest team in future Olympics home Rio, will play the Phoenix Suns Oct. 8 at US Airways Center, then the Orlando Magic on Oct. 15 at Amway Center, then finally the Memphis Grizzlies on Oct. 17 at FedExForum.
It’s all part of growing the game. Frankly, anything to make preseason games more interesting I’m all for. This does that.
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 0
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 12
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 12
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23