Sep 3, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
A season ago, the Clippers were a team with the league’s best offense and a top-seven defense, but the bulk of those accomplishments can be attributed to the players who were in the starting lineup.
L.A. got much worse once it was forced to dig into its bench for stretches, and once you got past Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan, there wasn’t much at all available in the way of serviceable bigs off the bench.
The Clippers have done a good job addressing that weakness this offseason, most notably by signing Spencer Hawes to a four-year free agent deal. They’re now on the verge of adding some additional depth, both in the frontcourt and on the wing that should noticeably improve the team in the upcoming season.
The Clippers have signed Ekpe Udoh to a 1year $1mil deal this morning, a source told Yahoo.
And from Dan Woike of the Orange County Register:
Clippers also will sign Chris-Douglas Roberts today, per league source.
Udoh appeared to lose a bit from an athleticism standpoint after undergoing knee surgery in October, and he’s never been one to stuff the stat sheet. But he’s proven to be an active and capable defender, and if the Clippers can get that much out of him, he’ll have earned his place on the roster.
Douglas-Roberts, meanwhile, played well in Charlotte last season, especially in the second half of the year. He could be targeted to get the minutes that went to Jared Dudley on the wing, and if that ends up being the case, it would be yet another apparent upgrade for the Clippers from the squad they put on the floor a season ago.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29