Sep 3, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
A season ago, the Clippers were a team with the league’s best offense and a top-seven defense, but the bulk of those accomplishments can be attributed to the players who were in the starting lineup.
L.A. got much worse once it was forced to dig into its bench for stretches, and once you got past Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan, there wasn’t much at all available in the way of serviceable bigs off the bench.
The Clippers have done a good job addressing that weakness this offseason, most notably by signing Spencer Hawes to a four-year free agent deal. They’re now on the verge of adding some additional depth, both in the frontcourt and on the wing that should noticeably improve the team in the upcoming season.
The Clippers have signed Ekpe Udoh to a 1year $1mil deal this morning, a source told Yahoo.
And from Dan Woike of the Orange County Register:
Clippers also will sign Chris-Douglas Roberts today, per league source.
Udoh appeared to lose a bit from an athleticism standpoint after undergoing knee surgery in October, and he’s never been one to stuff the stat sheet. But he’s proven to be an active and capable defender, and if the Clippers can get that much out of him, he’ll have earned his place on the roster.
Douglas-Roberts, meanwhile, played well in Charlotte last season, especially in the second half of the year. He could be targeted to get the minutes that went to Jared Dudley on the wing, and if that ends up being the case, it would be yet another apparent upgrade for the Clippers from the squad they put on the floor a season ago.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 12
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 12
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8