Sep 3, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
Shams Charania of RealGM:
It sounds as if DeAndre Liggins is an Exhibit 9 candidate.
An Exhibit 9 can be negotiated into a one-year, unguaranteed minimum contract. It allows a team to waive an injured player before the season and pay him just $6,000. Typically, an injured player’s contract becomes guaranteed until he’s healthy or the season ends, whichever comes first. (This refers to playing-related injuries only.)
However, teams can’t utilize Exhibit 9s until they already have 14 players without Exhibit 9s.
Douglas-Roberts and Turkoglu would give the Clippers 13 players. Maybe they’ll wait for Allen to add a 14th player, but there’s no guarantee he signs anywhere before training camp begins. Ekpe Udoh is another possibility for Player 14.
If Liggins, a formidable perimeter defender who played one game for the Heat last season following ugly domestic-violence charges, has an Exhibit 9, the Clippers can just later waive him to make room for Allen if need be. And if Allen doesn’t choose the Clippers, Liggins might have a decent chance to make the team.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19