Sep 3, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
Shams Charania of RealGM:
It sounds as if DeAndre Liggins is an Exhibit 9 candidate.
An Exhibit 9 can be negotiated into a one-year, unguaranteed minimum contract. It allows a team to waive an injured player before the season and pay him just $6,000. Typically, an injured player’s contract becomes guaranteed until he’s healthy or the season ends, whichever comes first. (This refers to playing-related injuries only.)
However, teams can’t utilize Exhibit 9s until they already have 14 players without Exhibit 9s.
Douglas-Roberts and Turkoglu would give the Clippers 13 players. Maybe they’ll wait for Allen to add a 14th player, but there’s no guarantee he signs anywhere before training camp begins. Ekpe Udoh is another possibility for Player 14.
If Liggins, a formidable perimeter defender who played one game for the Heat last season following ugly domestic-violence charges, has an Exhibit 9, the Clippers can just later waive him to make room for Allen if need be. And if Allen doesn’t choose the Clippers, Liggins might have a decent chance to make the team.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 21
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14