Sep 3, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
Shams Charania of RealGM:
It sounds as if DeAndre Liggins is an Exhibit 9 candidate.
An Exhibit 9 can be negotiated into a one-year, unguaranteed minimum contract. It allows a team to waive an injured player before the season and pay him just $6,000. Typically, an injured player’s contract becomes guaranteed until he’s healthy or the season ends, whichever comes first. (This refers to playing-related injuries only.)
However, teams can’t utilize Exhibit 9s until they already have 14 players without Exhibit 9s.
Douglas-Roberts and Turkoglu would give the Clippers 13 players. Maybe they’ll wait for Allen to add a 14th player, but there’s no guarantee he signs anywhere before training camp begins. Ekpe Udoh is another possibility for Player 14.
If Liggins, a formidable perimeter defender who played one game for the Heat last season following ugly domestic-violence charges, has an Exhibit 9, the Clippers can just later waive him to make room for Allen if need be. And if Allen doesn’t choose the Clippers, Liggins might have a decent chance to make the team.
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 3
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 25
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13