Sep 3, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Shams Charania of RealGM:
It sounds as if DeAndre Liggins is an Exhibit 9 candidate.
An Exhibit 9 can be negotiated into a one-year, unguaranteed minimum contract. It allows a team to waive an injured player before the season and pay him just $6,000. Typically, an injured player’s contract becomes guaranteed until he’s healthy or the season ends, whichever comes first. (This refers to playing-related injuries only.)
However, teams can’t utilize Exhibit 9s until they already have 14 players without Exhibit 9s.
Douglas-Roberts and Turkoglu would give the Clippers 13 players. Maybe they’ll wait for Allen to add a 14th player, but there’s no guarantee he signs anywhere before training camp begins. Ekpe Udoh is another possibility for Player 14.
If Liggins, a formidable perimeter defender who played one game for the Heat last season following ugly domestic-violence charges, has an Exhibit 9, the Clippers can just later waive him to make room for Allen if need be. And if Allen doesn’t choose the Clippers, Liggins might have a decent chance to make the team.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 6
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10