Sep 2, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
James Michael McAdoo went to North Carolina as a likely one-and-done player. He returned for his sophomore year and was viewed as a potential No. 1 overall draft pick. By the end of that season, his stock had fallen to mid-first round, and he returned to school once again.
Finally, after a lackluster junior year, McAdoo actually turned pro this year.
He went undrafted.
The Golden State Warriors have signed free agent guard Aaron Craft, along with free agent forwards James Michael McAdoo and Mitchell Watt to contracts, the team announced today.
Undrafted free-agent forward James Michael McAdoo signed a one-year contract paying the minimum with the Golden State Warriors, his agent James Tanner told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday.
Each player’s contract is partially guaranteed, depending on how long he sticks with the Warriors.
Golden State has just 13 players with guaranteed contracts. So, there’s a chance Craft, McAdoo and/or Watt, who went undrafted in 2012 out of Buffalo and has spent the last two years in Israel, could make the final roster.
Even if those three get waived, though, the Warriors could assign them to their D-League affiliate, the Santa Cruz Warriors. Any NBA team could sign the players, but Golden State would have an inside track on developing them.
McAdoo, particularly, has a lot of raw talent. So, keeping him close could pay off if he’s a late bloomer. Most likely, though, he’s an athlete who just doesn’t have NBA-level skills.
But he – and Craft and Watt – will get a chance to prove themselves in training camp. Afterward, they’ll continue on their NBA contracts or likely have D-League jobs waiting. And no matter where they begin next season, they’ll have whatever guaranteed money Golden State offered here.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 4
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 4
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18