Timofey Mozgov not pushing to leave Nuggets in trade to Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 AM EST

Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao

Yes, Timofey Mozgov would enjoy playing for David Blatt, his coach on the Russian national team.

Of course, Mozgov would like lining up next to LeBron James, a superstar who makes his teammates better.

But despite rumors of the Cavaliers trying to trade for him, Mozgov insists he doesn’t want to leave the Nuggets.

Denver, Mozgov told itar-tass.com (through Google translate):

has developed successfully and to take any steps to withdraw from the team would be unwise.

The best trade idea I see is John Lucas III, Malcolm Thomas, Erik Murphy and a protected first rounder for Mozgov. Denver could waive its incoming players for a total cost of $100,000 (Murphy’s guarantee). However, that trade isn’t allowed until Sept. 22.

But the Nuggets can use Mozgov, 28, now. His contract doesn’t expire until 2016, so there’s no rush to trade him.

Mozgov could pull a Kevin Love and request his way to Cleveland. Obviously, Mozgov doesn’t hold the same pull as Love, but any player can sway his future by expressing unhappiness.

However, it doesn’t seem Mozgov has any interest in going that route – even if he sees positives with the Cavaliers.

1. ProBasketballPundit - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Is Mozgov any good defensively? I mean I know he dropped 93 pts & 29 rebounds on the Warriors once but the Cavs could really use a rim protector and it seems the league doesn’t know much about Mozgov other than the Blake Griffin poster.

• jeffkx - Sep 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Are you joking? Not trying to be a jerk when I ask this because I don’t know if this is sarcasm..

• ProBasketballPundit - Sep 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Not joking. The crazy thing is 93 points wasn’t even his career high!

• jeffkx - Sep 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I was referring to the “Is Mozgoz any good defensively?”. I know the 93 points was a typo on the screen.

• ProBasketballPundit - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Oh, yeah I don’t really know anything about Mozgov. I don’t think I watched a single Denver game last year. I’m a big LeBron fan (not Heat or Cavs fan) so I wondered if Mozgov was a smart move for Cleveland. But the consensus seems to be that he’s better than anything Cleveland has as far as rim protection.

• zoomy123 - Sep 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM

He’s a pretty good defender overall and definitely an above average paint/rim protector.

• ebecks34 - Sep 2, 2014 at 12:03 PM

‘he dropped 93 points’…in a full season?

2. samsonight1010 - Sep 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM

He ended up on that poster in an effort to protect the rim. He knows how to be in position and puts forth effort in the paint. That’s what a “rim protector” does.

3. duhwighthoward - Sep 2, 2014 at 2:38 PM

HE WANTS TO PLAY ON THE EAST COAST TO AVOID BLAKE GRIFFIN

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches