Sep 2, 2014, 6:36 PM EST
LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers want him. Doc Rivers and the Los Angeles Clippers want him. Gregg Popovich and the champion San Antonio Spurs want him.
Now you can throw one more name in the hat of interested parties — the Washington Wizards. Don’t laugh, they’re serious. They have contacted Allen, reports J. Michael of CSNWashington.com.
The Wizards would prefer to keep their 15th and final roster open but they’d quickly change gears for Ray Allen. The team contacted the 39-year-old shooting guard early in the free agent process to gauge his interest in signing, CSNwashington.com has confirmed with two people with knowledge of the situation Tuesday.
Allen, while his overall game is slipping, still played more than 20 minutes a night for the Heat last season, averaged 9.6 points a game and is still deadly with the corner three. He’s still in good enough shape to play (he’s a conditioning freak).
Nice try by the Wizards, but this is normally where I would make a joke about how “I put in a call to Reese Witherspoon about our date… it has the same odds of success.” But not today. I’m going to rise above that kind of snark. Almost.
If Allen is going to play for the league minimum — and that’s a big “if” that he would put himself through the grind of the season for that — he’s going to do it for a contender. The Wizards may be the third best team in the East (it’s arguable), but they are not title contenders. Ray Allen isn’t leaving warm weather Miami for our nation’s capital.
Sorry Wizards fans. I’d just suggest you keep dreaming of Kevin Durant in 2016.
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 0
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10