Sep 2, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers want him. Doc Rivers and the Los Angeles Clippers want him. Gregg Popovich and the champion San Antonio Spurs want him.
Now you can throw one more name in the hat of interested parties — the Washington Wizards. Don’t laugh, they’re serious. They have contacted Allen, reports J. Michael of CSNWashington.com.
The Wizards would prefer to keep their 15th and final roster open but they’d quickly change gears for Ray Allen. The team contacted the 39-year-old shooting guard early in the free agent process to gauge his interest in signing, CSNwashington.com has confirmed with two people with knowledge of the situation Tuesday.
Allen, while his overall game is slipping, still played more than 20 minutes a night for the Heat last season, averaged 9.6 points a game and is still deadly with the corner three. He’s still in good enough shape to play (he’s a conditioning freak).
Nice try by the Wizards, but this is normally where I would make a joke about how “I put in a call to Reese Witherspoon about our date… it has the same odds of success.” But not today. I’m going to rise above that kind of snark. Almost.
If Allen is going to play for the league minimum — and that’s a big “if” that he would put himself through the grind of the season for that — he’s going to do it for a contender. The Wizards may be the third best team in the East (it’s arguable), but they are not title contenders. Ray Allen isn’t leaving warm weather Miami for our nation’s capital.
Sorry Wizards fans. I’d just suggest you keep dreaming of Kevin Durant in 2016.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 6
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 4
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28