Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush”

Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

Ray Allen has options.

LeBron James has tried to recruit him to Cleveland. Doc Rivers has tried to recruit him to the Clippers. The Spurs are interested.

But at age 39 Ray Allen may choose to sound like the “WarGames” computer — “the only winning move is not to play.”

What Allen is not going to do is rush this decision. If you need more proof beyond the fact he has resisted all those people trying to recruit him and hasn’t made a decision by Sept. 1, Allen said again recently he was going to take his time with this, speaking to Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant.

“I’m not in any rush [to make a decision],” Allen said during a break in the Citi Ray Allen Basketball ProCamp at East Granby High on Saturday morning. “I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes….

“To continue playing, really, the only argument is I can because I’m in great shape,” Allen said. “But just because you can doesn’t mean you have to. Many people over these last couple of weeks have lobbied for me to continue to play. … My argument for not playing is, I have done a significant amount in my career and I appreciate everything that has come my way and as I’ve gotten older, I’m 39, there are so many things in life I want to be able to do to affect change — like being around kids full time, which I enjoy.

“So at this point I just feel so good about where I am.”

If LeBron had stayed in Miami — where Allen and his family live — this would be a done decision and he’s be back with the Heat. But that’s not how it went down and the Heat, while they will be pretty good, are not contenders. Does Allen want to play in another (not as warm) city for the league minimum salary for one more season to chase another ring? Or are the two he has, plus 10 All-Star appearances and twice making the All-NBA team, enough?

Allen may be turning 39 and his game is slipping, but he remains one of the great shooters of all time and a guy who can come off the bench and space the floor with the corner three. A lot of teams could use him. He has options.

But he may choose “none of the above.”

Latest Posts
  1. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

2. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

3. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

4. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

5. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

6. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

7. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

8. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

9. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

10. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

11. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

12. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

13. Report: Knicks, Lakers, Wizards still interested in Kevin Seraphin

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.

14. Former NBA All-Star Vin Baker training to be Starbucks manager

Jul 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Vin Baker AP

He’s been sober four years, which is most important.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches