Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush”

Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

Ray Allen has options.

LeBron James has tried to recruit him to Cleveland. Doc Rivers has tried to recruit him to the Clippers. The Spurs are interested.

But at age 39 Ray Allen may choose to sound like the “WarGames” computer — “the only winning move is not to play.”

What Allen is not going to do is rush this decision. If you need more proof beyond the fact he has resisted all those people trying to recruit him and hasn’t made a decision by Sept. 1, Allen said again recently he was going to take his time with this, speaking to Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant.

“I’m not in any rush [to make a decision],” Allen said during a break in the Citi Ray Allen Basketball ProCamp at East Granby High on Saturday morning. “I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes….

“To continue playing, really, the only argument is I can because I’m in great shape,” Allen said. “But just because you can doesn’t mean you have to. Many people over these last couple of weeks have lobbied for me to continue to play. … My argument for not playing is, I have done a significant amount in my career and I appreciate everything that has come my way and as I’ve gotten older, I’m 39, there are so many things in life I want to be able to do to affect change — like being around kids full time, which I enjoy.

“So at this point I just feel so good about where I am.”

If LeBron had stayed in Miami — where Allen and his family live — this would be a done decision and he’s be back with the Heat. But that’s not how it went down and the Heat, while they will be pretty good, are not contenders. Does Allen want to play in another (not as warm) city for the league minimum salary for one more season to chase another ring? Or are the two he has, plus 10 All-Star appearances and twice making the All-NBA team, enough?

Allen may be turning 39 and his game is slipping, but he remains one of the great shooters of all time and a guy who can come off the bench and space the floor with the corner three. A lot of teams could use him. He has options.

But he may choose “none of the above.”

1. tomtravis76 - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:21 AM

The Heat are going to have a solid squad. It is going to be good to see Bosh be a focal point again. The guy is extremely talented. If Ray loves being in Miami, get in good with Riley and set yourself up long term with that organization.

• jeffkx - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I’m guessing Ray is looking to win another ring. Miami has absolutely no chance of doing that. None. Ray will choose between the Spurs, Cavs and the Clippers.

2. miamibeatles - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:25 AM

wow

3. lenbias34pt - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Of course you are not in a rush. This is the last time in your life anyone will care what you say.
    Milk it Ray.

What I find most entertaining about this situation is that is shows how poorly the Cavs are being run. The last thing the Cavs need is another shooter.
    Jones and Miller are strictly shooters at this point in their careers.
    Love and Waiters are primarily shooters.
    Irving 20 pts and 6 Ast is a shoot first point.
    And
    Tristan Thompson shot only 2 times less a game than Bosh LY.
    O yea, and they do have a guy called LeBron James who will look to shoot the ball a few times.

Certainly when you have LeBron you do want a few guys who can catch and shoot 3’s. But the clear truth is that they already have more than enough of those guys.
    Most fans didn’t recognize why the Heat won.The Heat won because they had the best Defense in the NBA. The Cavs won’t be close to that type of unit.
    Sure they will score a lot and have plenty of highlights……..just like the Trailblazers.

• ProBasketballPundit - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Love will not shoot nearly as many 3’s this year. When he came into the league he was a really good post player but he got tired of the triple teams he faced because Rubio, Brewer and Shved couldn’t score so he stepped out to the three point line.

I really think on this Cavs team he’ll doing pick & rolls and crashing the paint.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Not sure you understand this game as well as you think you do. Waiters is primarily a shooter? Have you watched him play? Kyrie was a shoot first point guard because he had to be, not because he chose to be. The Heat won because of Lebron. He makes his teammates better defenders. he did it in Cleveland before, he did it in Miami, and he will do it again in Cleveland. That, with the addition of Marion, and the tenacity of Varajea, will make Cleveland a much better defending team than you realize.

That being said, I agree with you 100% that they don’t need Ray Allen. They would be better served finding another big.

• ProBasketballPundit - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:08 AM

First of all, hilarious username. I wish I would have made that joke back when the SI article came out.

And I agree with everything you said. Waiters is always driving to the hole and finishing strong. He takes contact very well… and sometimes he gets hot from outside.

I also don’t think they need Ray Allen. They’ve filled the roster out pretty nicely and now I can’t imagine where Ray would fit in. He’s mostly a 4th quarter and deep rotation guy by now but would he really make the Cavaliers crunchtime rotation over Waiters? I think Ray might actually be unhappy with his role if he signed with the Cavs.

• lenbias34pt - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM

U got me!
        I have watched very little Cavs games…..how many people outside of Cleveland have?
        But I have watched enough to know of what I speak.

Waiters ave the same # of shots as D Wade did LY.
        Love shot as much as any NBA player LY.
        and Kyrie shot 10 more times a game than Mario.

Marion was always a great player because he WAS a great athlete.
        Varajea is a great defender? I could offer a few insults your way for this gem!

V plays hard , but is a fringe starter who averages . 5 blocks a game.

Unless this Rookie Head Coach is a miracle worker the Cavs will have an unhappy roster because of how it was built………….Like a fantasy team.
        Chalmers, Battier, Anderson, Cole and even Haslem were all guys who played key minutes without demanding shots.

• zoomy123 - Sep 2, 2014 at 10:55 AM

If you can get Ray Allen on a minimum contract, you do it. Why? Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals, that’s why.

• pl4tinum514 - Sep 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

David Blatt’s system is predicated on everyone on the floor being able to shoot. He wants versatile players. Tristan Thompson may find himself on the outside looking in if he doesn’t develop a decent jumper soon.

• lenbias34pt - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Good point.

But I do feel every post that mentions Blatt must also mention a coach who never played or even had minimal coaching experience in the NBA that had any type of success.
        Let alone taking on this challenge.

4. succulentnipples - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Big John Football is not in a rush either.

5. csbanter - Sep 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Ray is not in a rush anymore because Lebron lost his number once KLove arrived. Ray who ?

RA- “Bron what’s up its Ray,

LBJ “Ray who (click)

Ray “hello, hello (dial tone)

6. bougin89 - Sep 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Come back and retire a Buck!

*I’ll see myself out…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches