Sep 2, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Noah Vonleh has some star potential. The No. 9 pick in the draft out of Indiana can rebound right now and has shown some midrange offensive game, he just needs to put in the work, get stronger, learn NBA defenses and get a lot of polish on his offensive game.
But that project is going to be on hold for a couple months as he has undergone sports hernia surgery that will cause him to miss at least the start of training camp and could keep him out until the start of the season. The Hornets made the announcement on Tuesday.
Charlotte Hornets forward Noah Vonleh underwent successful surgery today to repair a sports hernia suffered in a recent workout. The surgery was performed in Charlotte by Dr. B. Todd Henneford. Vonleh is expected to miss approximately 6-8 weeks.
Vonleh showed flashes of what could be in Las Vegas, particularly on the glass, but like a lot of rookies learning to bring it every night against better competition is a process.
“The thing I think he needs to do is: rebound. He has to continue to rebound. His second game in here he had 18 rebounds and it’s not been consistent,” Hornets Sumer League coach Patric Ewing told ProBasketballTalk at the time. “Do all the things that he can be consistent with until his offense and all the other parts of his game is able to get going. He has to get stronger. But he’s a talented guy and he’s going to be one of the guys who is going to have a bright future for our team and possibly could be a star in this league.”
This injury and the timing of it is a setback for a guy trying to get minutes in Charlotte. Hopefully he is able to get in some of training camp with the Hornets and can start to get in that work he needs to do.
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 3
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 2
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 7