Sep 2, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
The Heat, with only minimum contracts available, want to add a shooting guard and a big.
The big? A few candidates are emerging.
The Heat, looking to add another veteran backup center, summoned 6-11 Nazr Mohammed, , for a workout and meeting with team executives on Thursday.
Among free agent centers, the Heat is most intrigued by Emeka Okafor.
The Heat also has inquired about 6-11 free agent center Andray Blatche, who has a home here.
Mohammed played 80 games for the Bulls last season, setting a record for fewest minutes per game (7.0) by someone who appeared in so many games. At 36, the role he can handle is likely only shrinking.
Okafor is reportedly out until midseason, limiting his value to the Heat. They’re going to be jockeying for playoff positioning, so early games matter. (Life without LeBron is harder).
Blatche is playing – well and amusingly – in the World Cup for the Philippines right now. This is essentially an audition for him. Perhaps Miami has moved on from players of his profile, but Blatche certainly has the most upside of the group. That’s always difficult to turn down.
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 0
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 0
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 18
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9