Sep 2, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
The Heat, with only minimum contracts available, want to add a shooting guard and a big.
The big? A few candidates are emerging.
The Heat, looking to add another veteran backup center, summoned 6-11 Nazr Mohammed, , for a workout and meeting with team executives on Thursday.
Among free agent centers, the Heat is most intrigued by Emeka Okafor.
The Heat also has inquired about 6-11 free agent center Andray Blatche, who has a home here.
Mohammed played 80 games for the Bulls last season, setting a record for fewest minutes per game (7.0) by someone who appeared in so many games. At 36, the role he can handle is likely only shrinking.
Okafor is reportedly out until midseason, limiting his value to the Heat. They’re going to be jockeying for playoff positioning, so early games matter. (Life without LeBron is harder).
Blatche is playing – well and amusingly – in the World Cup for the Philippines right now. This is essentially an audition for him. Perhaps Miami has moved on from players of his profile, but Blatche certainly has the most upside of the group. That’s always difficult to turn down.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80