Sep 2, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
The Heat, with only minimum contracts available, want to add a shooting guard and a big.
The big? A few candidates are emerging.
The Heat, looking to add another veteran backup center, summoned 6-11 Nazr Mohammed, , for a workout and meeting with team executives on Thursday.
Among free agent centers, the Heat is most intrigued by Emeka Okafor.
The Heat also has inquired about 6-11 free agent center Andray Blatche, who has a home here.
Mohammed played 80 games for the Bulls last season, setting a record for fewest minutes per game (7.0) by someone who appeared in so many games. At 36, the role he can handle is likely only shrinking.
Okafor is reportedly out until midseason, limiting his value to the Heat. They’re going to be jockeying for playoff positioning, so early games matter. (Life without LeBron is harder).
Blatche is playing – well and amusingly – in the World Cup for the Philippines right now. This is essentially an audition for him. Perhaps Miami has moved on from players of his profile, but Blatche certainly has the most upside of the group. That’s always difficult to turn down.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4