Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Well what did you expect?
First came the leak (it wasn’t really a report) when the very connected Jackie MacMullan of ESPN said in an off-air moment on “Around the Horn” that All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo had told the Celtics he wants out (that moment got released by ESPN). This would be the equivalent of what Kevin Love did in Minnesota, telling the team he would not re-sign with them so trade me know while you can still get something for me.
Except maybe Rondo didn’t ask for a trade after all.
From Mark Murphy of he Boston Herald.
Usually these kinds of requests are not made directly, rather it’s done through second or third hand parties. It allows the player to deny making any such request.
Whether Rondo’s “people” did or not isn’t really changing his situation anyway.
Danny Ainge has played it so he has options — he can try to bring in another star that will get Rondo to re-sign and stay, or he can shop him. Ainge can do both right now then decide what direction to go if he does/doesn’t find that star player or he gets a trade offer that wows him.
Rondo does like Boston and being a Celtic, but it’s hard to imagine him sticking around through years of rebuilding.
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 0
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 13
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 19
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31