Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Well what did you expect?
First came the leak (it wasn’t really a report) when the very connected Jackie MacMullan of ESPN said in an off-air moment on “Around the Horn” that All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo had told the Celtics he wants out (that moment got released by ESPN). This would be the equivalent of what Kevin Love did in Minnesota, telling the team he would not re-sign with them so trade me know while you can still get something for me.
Except maybe Rondo didn’t ask for a trade after all.
From Mark Murphy of he Boston Herald.
Usually these kinds of requests are not made directly, rather it’s done through second or third hand parties. It allows the player to deny making any such request.
Whether Rondo’s “people” did or not isn’t really changing his situation anyway.
Danny Ainge has played it so he has options — he can try to bring in another star that will get Rondo to re-sign and stay, or he can shop him. Ainge can do both right now then decide what direction to go if he does/doesn’t find that star player or he gets a trade offer that wows him.
Rondo does like Boston and being a Celtic, but it’s hard to imagine him sticking around through years of rebuilding.
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 5
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 13
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 26
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3